So looking at the software data released today by the NPD caused me some confusion. There's no PS3 Beatles: Rock Band in the top 10, while the X360 and Wii versions are. On the otherhand, there's no Xbox 360 Batman in the top 10, while the PS3 version is. Guitar Hero 5 for the X360 barely cracked the charts, but the rest of the platforms didn't. Thankfully, a few additional details leaked out and we were able to find out the answers to our confusion.
First, take a gander the chart below. Halo: ODST placed number one as we all expected. The other thing worth mentioning is the sales of Madden NFL '10 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, as the two versions continue performing well enough on both sides. Moving on, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 for X360 charted at number seven, but nowhere to be found for the PS3. Same goes for The Beatles. Oddly enough, PlayStation 3 sales of The Beatles: Rock Band were poor, a mere 132k sold. Compared to the Wii and X360 sales, that's very weak.
But, thanks to the exclusive content of the PlayStation 3, being able to play as the Joker, it seems that really helped the PS3 version of Batman outsell the Xbox 360 game by just over 10k units – not exactly a massive difference, but it goes to show that notable exclusive content helps drive sales. And lastly, tallying up sales for Guitar Hero 5 across all consoles brings the total to a pretty meager 500k units sold.
01. HALO 3: ODST (360; Sep-09) 1.52M
02. Wii SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII; Jul-09) 442.9K
03. MADDEN NFL 10 (360; Aug-09) 289.6K
04. MARIO & LUIGI:BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY (NDS; Sep-09) 258.1K
05. THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (360; Sep-09) 254.0K
06. MADDEN NFL 10 (PS3; Aug-09) 246.5K
07. MARVEL:ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 2 (360; Sep-09) 236.0K
08. BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* (PS3; Aug-09) 212.5K
09. GUITAR HERO 5* (360; Sep-09) 210.8K
10. THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (WII; Sep-09) 208.6K
xx. BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* (360; Aug-09) 202.0K+
xx. THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (PS3; Sep-09) 132.4K
Misc: GUITAR HERO 5 (All Platforms) – 499k