Given the escalating disgusting behavior online, perhaps it needs to happen.

As reported by the DailyMail , UK Justice Secretary Chris Grayling proposed new laws that would "take a stand against a baying cyber-mob."

If these went through, Internet trolls could be taken to crown court, where they'd face a maximum penalty of two years in prison. Right now, the max sentence for trolling is only six months so this is a significant increase. Celebrities and just about anyone with a major online presence is subject to attacks, and we're coming off a two-month abuse campaign against female game critics and developers. Said Grayling:

"These internet trolls are cowards who are poisoning our national life. No-one would permit such venom in person, so there should be no place for it on social media. That is why we are determined to quadruple the current six-month sentence."

Last week, model Chloe Madeley suffered through a round of rape threats, evidently in response to her mother, Judy Finnigan, speaking out against convicted rapist Ched Evans. Grayling added that the law he proposes would combat such cruelty. Recently, outspoken feminist speaker Anita Sarkeesian has seen plenty of abuse thrown her way, including death threats. On two occasions, she supposedly learned she was the target of a bombing.

On the one hand, there's the whole freedom of speech issue. On the other, maybe when the people prove they absolutely cannot police themselves, steps need to be taken.

Subscribe
Notify of
10 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
maxpontiac
maxpontiac
6 years ago

The hand that clings to the whole "freedom of speech" as an excuse needs to be smashed in a door.

There is no excuse for threatening rape.

Bottom line.

matt99
matt99
6 years ago

Yeah, anyone who defends this disgusting and shameful behaviour with "freedom of speech" doesn't understand what that truly means.

I hope this legislation goes through and hopefully it'll help some people realize that there are real consequences to that kind of "trolling".

souljah92
souljah92
6 years ago

NO TEA FOR A MONTH,that'll teach em.
Id say 98% of the losers that make these threats and stuff online couldn't do a damn thing in reality, the other 2% are just venting because their views weren't supported, who cares about feminists, don't go public with stupid opinions and if an otherwise good opinion comes under fire from some retards over the internet and you can't handle it, get off the internet, it's not that hard. I also read somewhere that some skank got ptsd off of the internet and then had the nerve to liken it to that which war vets deal with, give her some electric shock therapy that'll fix her head.

Anonymous
Anonymous
6 years ago

You suck. Leave PSXextreme for good.

booze925
booze925
6 years ago

Freedom of Speech doesn't exactly condone that kind of behavior in the 1st place, so this shouldn't be a problem.

WorldEndsWithMe
WorldEndsWithMe
6 years ago

Not all countries have freedom of speech and those that do regulate it (yes America too).

I say serious trolls and terroristic threats should be something that can be combated. Is this the way? Maybe.

Anonymous
Anonymous
6 years ago

Well you suck. Leave PSXextreme for good.

Rachet_JC_FTW
Rachet_JC_FTW
6 years ago

wel i think it just goes to show u still need to behave urselfs on the net i mean i have made the call to try to remain as transperant from real world speak to online speak as most ppl don't and i thought if at least 1 person being myeslf was it make the net jsut a bit more pleasant place along with most of you so

but as for the 2 yrs in jail has be reserved for something really really serious not just every other troll cos then things will just get rediculous

happy gaming

(ps if ur new to reading my comments i appologize for lack of spelling ability at times i know its not the best just bear with me its just not a strength of mine so don't rage at me plz)

ProfPlayStation
ProfPlayStation
6 years ago

"Freedom of Speech" is not "Freedom from Consequences"

If you make a verbal/social/Twitter threat against another person, you are not shielded from the consequences any more than if you called in a bomb threat, wrote a letter threatening intent to kill, or brandished a knife toward others.

The Internet is not, and should not be, immune. It's good to see the legal system catching up.

Anonymous
Anonymous
6 years ago

New laws should crack down on Dutka