Lightning Returns: ...

Notifications
Clear all

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Review

61 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Zemus101)

I also loved Crisis Core. Square has always been pretty great when it came to action games. Or at least, action focused RPGs. Parasite Eve comes to mind. The first one anyways. I skipped the second one. Did anyone play The 3rd Birthday on PSP? My PSP died before that one came out.

Posted : 13/02/2014 12:00 am
(@Ben Dutka PSXE)

You might like it. But I enjoyed XIII and XIII-2 (put over 100 hours into each) and I hate Lightning Returns.

Still, there are others who do enjoy it. And it was very thoughtful of your wife, so you should at least try! 🙂

(@darxed)

Yeah, My wife rocks, she's no gamer, but she understands it's something important to me.

@Ben: Yeah, I'm hoping to like it (haven't had time to play it yet) since I really liked most of the characters and most of the story of the past two games, which I know is not the case with you. Anyways, great job with the review, I know It shouldn't have been easy to do it, given how much you love the franchise.

Seriously SE, If you're gonna put the FF name on a game, the least you can do is maintain the franchise's standards... I mean, I didn't like FFXII because the setting and chars didn't resonate with me, but I could appreciate the quality and production values of the game (as I think was the case with a lot of people with FFVIII and FFXIII), but to release a FF game with mediocre graphics, voice acting and story?

(@darxed)

Also, for any people (like me) that wan't to make sense of the story, here's a good recap of the first two games, and where LR starts.

www.neoseeker.com/forums/53144/t1724032-an-in-depth-look-at-final-fantasy-xiiis-story/

It'd have been nice if people that have played and even platinumed both games (like me, again) didn't have to search online for explanations of the story. If you look at that post, you can see some of the brilliance of the background of past FFs.

Really, SE, so much wasted potential and opportunities... sigh.

BTW: Love this comment from the OP of the link:
"But now I fully respect XIII and XIII-2 as good games, but for some reason the meat of what should have been told was taken from the sandwich."

Last edited by darxed on 2/13/2014 12:37:22 AM

(@Broady)

thanks for the link - did enjoy xiii, even though it was a bit linear, got fed up with xiii-2, that much so I can't remember if I finished it, sure that I did but didn't stick in the memory like some of the great ff's from the past.
Kind of want to get lr:ffxiii just to finish the story, but will wait til it's in the bargain bin

(@Underdog15)

It's not like Ben is making this up, either. Most reviewers are saying the same things, and this isn't the lowest score I've seen.

(@Ben Dutka PSXE)

Okay, I'm pretty sure I've never "made anything up" in a review. 🙂

(@Underdog15)

Except that time when y.... I mean, when you said that th..... yeah, ok you're right.

I was just half expecting "MORE OF TEH FF ARTICLES, RLY!?!" type of mentality at some point.

Last edited by Underdog15 on 2/13/2014 7:43:04 AM

(@Beamboom)

Okay, I'm pretty sure nobody has ever criticized Ben for publishing *reviews* of FF titles, Underdog. 🙂

(@darxed)

Yeah, Ben has never been unprofessional with a review in the ten years I've been coming to this site, so I don't see him starting now. He may have some strong opinions about stuff in the comments and editorials, but the reviews have always evaluated the games as they are.

That's why I always roll my eyes at the "Reviews are subjective, therefore opinion" argument... This site is proof that if you're professional enough, you can separate them both as much as you want.

(@Ben Dutka PSXE)

Thanks. It's a point I always try to make when it comes to reviews.

You can't help but have at least SOME opinion but the key is to step back and forget about yourself for a minute. My opinion always factors into every review, as there are always subjective elements to any game. But it NEVER totally dictates a score.

If it did here, the game would get a 3. LOL

(@Underdog15)

@Beam
They could, and it would be just as heinous. That's kinda my point, man. lol

@darxed
Yeah. My other thing learned, thanks to the internet, is that an opinion isn't a right you have to never have to change your point of view. It isn't something you are entitled to. What I'm describing is ignorance. Because yeah... you can be as ignorant as you want to be without having to challenge your thoughts.

An opinion is based on something real. Good reviewers... yeah... use a combination of objectivity and some opinion. But that doesn't mean the opinion is baseless. It's based on reality thanks, in large part, due to their experience and expertise in the industry.

That's how I see it.

Last edited by Underdog15 on 2/13/2014 2:18:44 PM

(@Vivi_Gamer)

So I presume by the review that means that the classes only have 4 attacks each through out the game? How far did you get Ben? And did it still feel like button mashing until the ability points of that class ran out forcing you to switch and move onto the next class. See the paradigm system was all about reacting to the opponents, not just having a limit of attacks before having to switch to the next class, this sounds like where I will have problems with the battle system. Also, does the game enforce you to pause the game to heal later on in the game? I imagine you don't have space to heal in a class with just 12 commands...

Also, did you see them generic candy-cane poles in every environment like I feared, or did they change the aesthetic for the environment?

I've got it preordered and it'll be arriving tomorrow, I won't be playing it for a while as I still want to replay XIII-2 before I start it.

(@Lawless SXE)

So far, I've found that the Schemata system is very reflective of the Paradigm system in what you say. Each enemy has their weaknesses and each Garb has only four attacks, so you do have to be aware of what attacks are mapped where so that you can respond to the needs of the battle when it comes time to switch. The only real difference from the Paradigm system is the limiting of the number of abilities. Otherwise it's pretty much exactly the same.

And healing, so far, is only done through Potions, which requires you to pause the game to select, and Curaga, which is an EP ability (basically a battle aid technique. Another is Overclock, which slows time for enemies and allows you to just launch attacks without worrying about the AP Bar until the effect wears off), which basically happens instantly upon being activated. Can't speak for the candy canes, though.

(@Vivi_Gamer)

I see thanks for you response 🙂

Also another question. Is the costume assigned to the specfic class? Can I select say Ravanger and then select the costume for it. I ask this because I don't really want to be playing as the Ligthning in the dominatrix costume presented on the cover... it just looks silly.

Also, I hear that Ligthing has no level or Cyrstarium system, she gains experience by completing missions. How balanced is the game with sidequests and the main story... side quests should be optional but I am gathering that this game requires you do spread out and manage them to get experience... am I right on that?

Page 2 / 5
Share: