NIS America
Developer:
Image Epoch
Number Of Players:
Genre:
RPG
Release Date:
July 16, 2013

With each successive subpar effort, the question of the JRPG decline becomes clearer. When we reach the abysmal depths of a promising title like Time and Eternity , we finally have to accept that decreasing interest in the genre is directly tied to the corresponding decrease in quality. The bottom line is that such productions lag so far behind the rest of the industry, it has become impossible to recommend such games to even die-hard aficionados. At this point, it’d be unfair to them as consumers, because the most outspoken supporter of the niche genre will be heavily disappointed. And really, it’s sad.

The disappointment began to creep in the instant I laid eyes on the latest from Image Epoch and NIS America. I am always willing to be lenient in terms of technical proficiency, especially if the story and combat (the backbones of any great RPG) excel. Tragically, those two elements are even worse than the visuals, but we’ll get to those in a minute. Graphically, the animation suffers from jerky, unrealistic movements, the backdrops are reminiscent of long bygone eras, and the entire presentation is just unappealing and even downright ugly. Plus, there’s so much recycling of various designs and environmental detail that it’s unfortunately comical.

If you’re wondering, “outdated” is the accurate term here. Then you’ve got the audio, which features a repetitive, absolutely annoying soundtrack and some of the blandest, least emotional voice acting you’ll ever hear. Any attempt at giving a character some sense of flair or personality falls horribly flat. The entire sound presentation is dull and drab, and you forget even halfway decent musical pieces the instant they draw to a close. Between the terrible, amateur-ish voice performances and the inconsistent, jarring visuals, you get a game that struggles to be taken seriously. It’s just so vastly eclipsed by most all modern titles currently on store shelves.

This all being said, I’ve been known to play – and even enjoy – plenty of JRPGs in the past that didn’t exactly push the technical envelope. That’s because they offered intriguing, in-depth combat mechanics and great storylines that kept one interested in the adventure. So, despite being saddened to the point of shedding tears when analyzing those terrible technical aspects, I still held out hope for a riveting plot, likable characters and a fighting mechanic that was deep and rewarding. But I was disappointed again, even though I did like a few of the gameplay ideas.

In the first hour, you note a distinct lack of polish and pacing and an adolescent sense of style with which I can no longer identify. I don’t mind a little innuendo; in fact, I expect it in such games. But when that’s essentially the cornerstone of all dialogue, we quickly lose interest and in turn, we lose a lot of respect for the developers. This poorly written and acted farce begins with Princess Toki, who is getting married to a handsome young man named Zack. But during the wedding, they’re attacked by assassins and Zack falls dead. And we learn that Toki has a split personality; Towa is a bad-ass fighter and she even has a pet dragon named Drake.