Clear all

God of War: Ascension Review

45 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
NaughtyDog
 NaughtyDog
(@NaughtyDog)

Good review Ben. Still playing through campaign and so far it's a 9 in my book. It does feel different of a GoW game as you say but to me it's a nice refresh to the series and Got to remember Kratos is just a man looking for answers but still in a spartan brutality way! LoL. Oh and on the Bros before hos trophy, I just got it and that ex g4 guy is a dumbass, when everyone gets to it they will see how much an idiot that guy is for even mentioning it, trophy doesn't bother me quite nice when it's all done :). Throat punch of the week goes to that dush bag.

Posted : 13/03/2013 12:00 am
ethird1
 ethird1
(@ethird1)

This game is a 9. Period. Great game. Online was really an extra imo. This game is all about the single player exp anyways.

BROS BEFORE HOES! lol. This review is way better than Adam Sesslars wussy review.

End of Line.

really happy to see SM has put back the GOW in GOW!
3 was such a disappointment because it removed so many things that made the original and 2 so great!
this has returned them so im really happy about that!
but what im not happy is this suffers from what EVERY sequel this gen has suffered from!
they bring back some loved things, but also remove some.
why?
wheres the big epic start, and the memorable big epic boss battles!?
GOW3s start was so freaking amazing, in fact we STILL have not gotten a better start to a game!
this is so melodramatic its not funny!
typical sequel, brings back some things but also removes others.
sigh.

bigrailer19
 bigrailer19
(@bigrailer19)

Its a prequel. But I guess you missed that the whole beginning of the game was a big battle on a living town?

Good to see you are at least enjoying it though.

Last edited by bigrailer19 on 3/13/2013 9:34:39 AM

airwedge1
 airwedge1
(@airwedge1)

They should have made the multi-player just be a fighter game, and when you do bosses in single player it uses that same kind of mode. The thing that usually sucks about fighter games is the single player is stupid, but if you can move around and do an actual adventure in the games it would make it better. So why not combine a fighter with an action game. GOW already has the combinations like fighters have anyway. I think it would make for a kick ass game.

slugga_status
 slugga_status
(@slugga_status)

I'm 8 chapters in and it is indeed a great game. Although I will say, I don't feel that Kratos really has the "urge" for this journey so far. I hope that changes further on.

Spent a lot of time in the MP yesterday. I have to disagree there. The MP is done well and is only a button masher if you don't know how to play it. Your armor, weapon, magic, and abilities set everybody apart and makes the game balanced. It'll need new game modes and maps for sure.

I did notice two glitches in the MP when I would spawn without a team and wouldn't be able to hit anybody but people could hit me. Then I could only hit one person and nobody else and that one person could only kill me. CTF mode I spawned with no team and grabbed a flag..game lasted all 10 mins.

Overall, great overall..just missing that rage for the fight.

maxpontiac
 maxpontiac
(@maxpontiac)

I have yet to play this game (bought it but still playing Tomb Raider) and this seems to be an honest review.

You recogonize that the game is still God of War and it just seems to be missing that special magic that other games had.

Thanks for the great review.

bigrailer19
 bigrailer19
(@bigrailer19)

No magic missing in this one. Its an excellent GoW game. I dont want to say to much because I think its important you get the jist from the game but this is a different Kratos right now, not the normal BA we are used to, so kudos for Santa Monica for portraying that.

The size and scope of the game is still as epic as ever, and the combat is as solid as ever with a few minor improvements.

I imagine you'll really enjoy this one.

WorldEndsWithMe
 WorldEndsWithMe
(@WorldEndsWithMe)

I think it's just that once again it's a case of, been there done that, fought that war and won already.

maxpontiac
 maxpontiac
(@maxpontiac)

bigrailer - So, why do believe the reviews are much lower then usual? Not that it bothers me, but I am somewhat disappointed by the overall scores. Heck, the generally ripped Aliens Colonial Marines was something I enjoyed a ton and in fact I got the Platinum on it.

World - Show me a sequel where this isn't the case? I only say this because GOW as a series has been a VERY successful one, so why change a proven forumla? Plus, why does it seem some games are given a free ride from just about everyone yet certain games get trashed for staying the same?

WorldEndsWithMe
 WorldEndsWithMe
(@WorldEndsWithMe)

Most sequels add something to the proven formula, this one actually takes away since Kratos is weaker at this time.

bigrailer19
 bigrailer19
(@bigrailer19)

World -

They have added things to the proven formula despite it being a prequel. The combat is still the same but with enhancements or improvements. It created a more fluid and dynamic combat system. They did capture Kratos strength accurately as opposed to the Kratos in GoW3, but he's not some weakling and they dont portray him that way. They portray him as a fierce spartan warrior with great strength and they use abilities and weapon variations to capture that.

Max-

Honestly I think its because of the mp (which I find great). Most of the reviews love the campaign and speak of it in ways that you would a GoW game. But when refering to the mp they say things to the extent of it being unneccesary or it wasn't all that great. I think its a bias thats bringing the score down. Rightfully so I suppose as a game that has a sp and mp element should be scored based on the full offering. But not when you just feel like it didnt need it.

I cant for the life of me being able to see any review justifying a lower score based on the sp. Its a GoW game through and through. It doesn't feel foreign, it doesnt feel like something new but it certainly feels upgraded. And even so we play GoW because of what it is, they shouldnt change a thing, fans dont want something new they want that experience that its always given us. I know Ben said Kratos is a bit more "carefree", not sure the meaning behind that, but he referred to Kratos also, always being known as a brutal character, and thats still there but the thing to realize is we are at a part in his story where that character from GoW3 simply doesnt exist yet. Thats why I say good for SM for getting that right.

xenris
 xenris
(@xenris)

Good review. I'm going to wait on this, I have a sneaking suspicion that soon they will release the multiplayer as a stand alone on PSN and I will snag that up.

I'm sure the SP is great but I just can't see the story grabbing me. I was hoping that this prequel would have been before the chains were bound to him, and before he killed his wife and daughter.

That would have been a sweet prequel. Maybe people wouldnt have liked it because he wouldnt have been as strong, and the combat wouldnt have been as iconic with the blades but still I would have liked to see what he was like when he was a father and husband.

Temjin001
 Temjin001
(@Temjin001)

With DOA5+ and NG3:RE just around the corner I won't have the cash for GoW. Maybe I'll find it rental somewhere sometime soon. I'm excited though for this one. I really liked the multiplayer and single player demos. Those had me sold before I read any reviews.

bigrailer19
 bigrailer19
(@bigrailer19)

Its as solid of an experience as ever. If you enjoyed the demo you love the full game.

Page 2 / 3
Share: