Notifications
Clear all

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Review

Page 3 / 6
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

World,
Why did say that the story in XIII is empty and awful? I will agree with you if it's XIII-2. But still XIII-2 has more beautiful moments than Enslaved even though the story in Enslaved is much more solid and does make more sense.

Temjin,
Lightning changed her name to remind herself that she needs to grow up fast and tries to forget that she is still her mother's little girl, which reminds her that she's also a young woman who also needs protection and still vulnerable, she's got to be strong for Serah because she's the big sister. Changing name is typical in Japanese story to forget painful past. For example in Samurai X, Kenshin's name is given by his master because his master thought that his true name sounds weak and inappropriate for a Samurai and his painful past so he was given a much stronger name to remind him to be become more strong to protect those who can't protect themselves.

Beamboom,
FFXIII in my opinion deserves it's score. The graphics is amazing, the battle system is also amazing but not as amazing as the past FF, but still amazing compared to other JRPG, the music is amazing even though not as amazing as the past FF but still good quality. In terms of story I do like the story of XIII rather than Mass Effect 2, it has more focus and scenes plays beautiful unlike in Mass Effect 2 where most of the story is told standing in a room going blah blah blah. That's why I like Grunt and The Illusive Man the most in the game. The Illusive Man will do anything to save the earth even if it's dirty tactics just to have more chance of winning against the Reapers.

Last edited by homura on 1/23/2013 1141 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2013 12:00 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Ben, what a strange thing to say? I'm not of the opinion that FF13-2 is better than FF13? Where do I say so? I've never even played FF13-2. I have no opinion of that game.

What I say is that FF13 was NOT a game that deserved a meta of 8.5. Not cause of linearity, but cause of the utterly cheesy dialogues, nonsense battle system, meaningless story, unappealing characters, it really was a dull game who held very little value for someone who's not into the FF franchise from before.

The only good thing I have to say about it was that it looked good. It hardly even deserved a meta of 8 sharp, and that's where we find FF13-2 at. Ergo did the sequel receive the meta the first should have gotten, according to my opinion.

Last edited by Beamboom on 1/23/2013 1131 PM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

The review is good, the only part that puzzles me is the part on the grind and that there are too many encounters.

Old JRPGs were the worst for this because they are random. Legend of Dragoon, FF9, Dragon Quest 8, The Last Odyssey and pretty much every old JRPG has a LOT of random encounters.

Would you say you think this is more than those? Or simply that your taste towards random encounters has changed somewhat and you don't enjoy the grind as much? Or was it a combination of that and the that you didn't like the combat as much as you would have if it was more turn based so the grind felt more noticable?

All just legit questions. I'm enjoying the game thoroughly and think it is one of the best JRPGs I have played. Love the combat and the story is nice, cliched or not I like simple stories.

In the demo I didn't find it hard to avoid encounters on the world map, but avoiding them in dungeons did seem almost impossible.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

None of the JRPGs you mention have the frequency of encounters Ni no Kuni has. Definitely not DQVIII, where you could roam a ways without running into one, definitely not FFIX, and although LoD was closer, it's still not to the same level.

I still love random encounters. And yes, if I had really loved the combat, I wouldn't have been as irritated with the frequency. When a game is actually TURN-BASED, I don't mind...that's the other main difference between Ni no Kuni and those games you mentioned...those were all turn-based. 😉

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I dunno which version of DQVIII you played Ben, but I played the one where I literally (pen and paper)averaged the number of steps I could take between encounters and it added up to about 10.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

a question Ben. Do you rate a jRPG's combat lower if it isn't turn-based? I'm curious because while turn-based has it's own flavor, i don't think everyone thinks of it as superior, just different, to a more action-oriented jrpg design. I mention this because it seems to matter the most to you over any other critic or gamer I've encountered.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

World: I really didn't have a problem.

Temjin: No. Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy XII are two of my favorite games of all time, for instance. I prefer turn-based but if a mechanic is great, it's great. I don't find the system in Ni no Kuni to be "great."

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Thanks for clearing that up. Was just wondering your opinion on the matter.

I have to agree with World though, DQ8s random encounters felt like they were every two steps to me and only remedied by using holy water, not that it was ever an issue. I don't have a problem with frequent random encounters though, was just curious what a lot means.

I really loved the combat in Ni No kunis demo so I don't think that I will mind if there are a lot of battles.

I still need to play Vagrant story...I rented it once when I was younger and just didn't really get it because I hadn't played many RPGs. I hope they do an HD remake of it, but ... what am I talking about Square wouldn't do something awesome for me 🙁

Last edited by xenris on 1/23/2013 529 PM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I guarantee it doesn't have as many encounters as Skies of Arcadia (DC version not gamecube). Still loved that game.

Anywho, thanks for an honest review Ben, surprised to see it getting higher ones at typically hater sites. Mine will be here some day this week and I'm gonna attack it on Friday with fervor. My backlog just got sent back to the back.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

gamers should unite and abolish backlogs. we should have a national backlog burning day. really if the backlog is always second fiddle to the more important games, why not just ditch the backlog...

Binary Domain NO!!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

The backlog is a time-honored tradition for when genres get repetitive. The tradition of re-buying games we sold is one I never understood and then became a victim of... alas poor me.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

"Backlogs forever"

Backlogs are also great for when you're out of work & have zero income or any life savings left.

At least for a little bit at night I know I can play games from my backlog to temporarily escape the massive tonnage of my recent financial woes & the dread of a much worsening future.

"LONG LIVE BACKLOGS"

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Temjin don't you dare skip out on Binary Domain!!!

I loved that game 😛

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I realy don't agree with this review. I understand it's your opinion, but I feel like if it's not exactly the type of game you like, you mark it down. Not turn based waaah :'(

Same goes with all Lightning returns info, you always throw jabs at the game. Yes, we all know you hate the fact that it's not turn based like the old FF, but how about being a bit more professional about it.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

The game got the score it deserved, and it has nothing to do with whether it's turn-based or not. Too many people are willing to turn a blind eye to the obvious flaws just because they're so desperate for a JRPG resurrection.

That's the long and short of it.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 6
Share: