Soul Calibur V Review

51 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Neurotoxiny)

Very disappointing... yet so addicting... I hate myself 😛

Posted : 07/02/2012 12:00 am
(@Oxvial)

Whaa another story mode on SC that is fail.Gonna wait until drop price.

(@TheHighlander)

Soul Calibur 3 remains to me the high point of the series followed closely by Soul Calibur 2. Soul Calibur 4 was almost soul-less because it pretty much lacked story and was arcade and online modes bolted onto a character creation engine. It sounds awfully like SCV doesn't fix the lack of story and instead makes things worse by throwing away some of the most familiar faces in the franchise and replacing them with uninspired copies of the originals. No real story mode - the story-board thing was done before and not liked. Online - had that with SC4. Create a Soul mode - been there since SC3. So what is it that this new version offers that the others do not?

SC3 had superior story modes for custom characters and story characters. SC4 had HD graphics and basic character story. SC2 had the best character story, and good graphics without the excellent create a soul element.

Seems to me that Project Soul simply lashed together the SC game framework and stopped caring at that point. There was an opportunity to broaden the game using the create a soul mode and having a deeper story mode for those custom characters like in SC3, as well as having a deeper story mode for the main characters. That opportunity has apparently been scorned along with certain iconic characters. Sad.

As for why people want a story mode. Simple, as Worlds pointed out, some of us still like solo game play.

(@The Doom)

Okay, where to begin. I half agree with you, but I don't in other areas. PS was not just trying to make a new Soulcalibur game; they were trying to refresh the series. That's part of motivation behind the 17 year time gap and as such you have to be realistic to understand there is no way you should expect everyone to return. Some fighters are naturally going to either retire, have new comers succeed them, or even die during that time gap. I like the fact they took a gamble with this choice. If there's anything wrong with the story, its that it provides little to no information about the fighters. We don't know about what happened to some veterans and the game doesn't explain why some of the new and old characters are there.

If you go to the game site, you'll find a lot more stories there than in the game itself. The story mode wasn't really bad, but it would've been much better if the events the website talked about were in the game. There were a lot of good stories about each character and its a shame they weren't used like it should've been. It's clear Namco put them there for players to read to save them time from putting them in. Characters like Natsu would've been better accepted if we learned more about her relationship with Taki and about what happened to Taki.

(@TheHighlander)

The "refresh the franchise" thing is little more than an excuse. It's not exactly a refresh when characters Dampierre are given a place in favor of others I could, but won't mention. I'm simply not buying this refresh excuse at all. There were and are plenty of ways to refresh the series without (as it were) tossing the baby out with the bathwater.

(@The Doom)

And excuse for what? The changes in the gameplay? The story timeskip? We all know the team broke up after SCIV came around; with a new team wouldn't you find it logical to attempt to do something different for the series? So what of Dampierre is in it? Just because you don't like him and think someone else should take his place doesn't make any decision about the timeskip an excuse.

(@Mr_Sterg)

Its sad that they wasted their time bringing back the old team to build SCV and the end result did not turn out so well. I and other expected great leaps forward since this was the original team coming back to built SC. Its either the team did a poor job or Namco forcing them to comply with their vision of the game.

(@Looking Glass)

It's disappointing about the story aspect. But I can't say that I'm surprised. I liked the original Soul Calibur largely because I was taken in by the story and lore that the game established. But when I got into Soul Calibur 4 I was disappointed because I sensed a definite downgrade in this area.

And now it seems the decline is only going to continue. Sadly I suspect that the Soul Calibur franchise is yet another victim of the industry trend of single player experiences being compromised for the sake of multiplayer.

(@The Doom)

It's a fighting game. Multiplayer is the top priority, not the single player. It doesn't excuse the poor story mode, but gameplay mechanical come first. It's not an rpg.

(@Looking Glass)

You seem to be indicating that the fighting genre is an inherently multiplayer oriented deal. But I disagree. As far as I have been able to tell single player experiences used to be the primary focus of video games with multiplayer being a complimentary feature and the fighting genre was essentially no different in this regard. Nowadays however it seems that the opposite way of thinking is often practiced. The new direction of the Soul Calibur franchise is perhaps an especially pronounced example of this shift.

And story isn't an inherently RPG thing either (as you also seem to be indicating). I believe that it has been demonstrated over the years that numerous kinds of games can benefit and have benefitted tremendously from story including the fighting genre (and yes even the FPS genre as well). This makes Soul Calibur's shift all the more unfortunate and especially since it used to be reasonably strong in this area.

(@TheHighlander)

Can't help but agree with you Looking_glass.

(@The Doom)

Speak with the actual tournament players and they'd tell you multiplayer is more important. It's always been the case and its a part of the nature of the genre. Did you know that SC was hardly ever taken seriously in the competitive scene? They've been trying to change that since SCIII. Hell, that's why PS had a different company write the story for SCV while they focus on the gameplay.

(@Dukemz_UK)

I prefer my fighting games to have a decent story for each character. I also prefer playing them solo, with the occasional online battle. Story plays (and used to play) an integral part of the experience, eg, the Tekken and Mortal Kombat franchises. I'll consider getting SC5 from the bargin bin in a few months.

(@Dukemz_UK)

I don't think we can make assumptions about what proportion of fighting game players actually play online regularly, nor can we ever know if online or competitive play motivates a great deal of people to buy this game.

Last edited by Dukemz_UK on 2/7/2012 4:01:14 PM

(@TheHighlander)

Doom. The game is not made for tournament players, it's made to sell millions of copies which means it should be made for gamers like me, that like characters and story and single player fun.

Page 2 / 4
Share: