Final Fantasy XIII-2 Review

82 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Underdog15
 Underdog15
(@Underdog15)

I agree, Ben.

However, for some tougher fights, I used Vanille instead for her Death spell and because she had weapons that made saboteur much more effective. I guess that makes her a situational player, to use a sports reference. Hope is the regular starter, though. lol

Posted : 31/01/2012 12:00 am
Arvis
 Arvis
(@Arvis)

"But Square Enix broke the mold with Final Fantasy X-2, which turned out great in my opinion, but many say wasn’t up to franchise standards."

Only the ignorant, unwashed masses think X-2 was anything other than stellar.

-Arvis

Underdog15
 Underdog15
(@Underdog15)

I agree. It was amazing. Best battle system in the franchise's history, imo.

Some of the dialogue bothered me (as I felt it sometimes took people out of character), but that is my only complaint.

Arvis
 Arvis
(@Arvis)

Yeah, there was... SOMETHING... lost in translation there. Culturally.

But I actually thought the story, overall, was really touching. I was moved to tears (little ones) a couple times.

-Arvis

Vivi_Gamer
 Vivi_Gamer
(@Vivi_Gamer)

I disagree, the fact that it does not have Aeons alone makes it stand out negatively. I also found the dressphere system silly, I know it was a nod to the Job System era in classic FF's but I just didn't like it. I did however like the pacing and hwo the characters move around the screen. But my biggest issue with X-2 is the story, it goes off on this whole other route and only comes back to what is important in the end which you won't even get from completing the game unless you get 100% which is impossible wihtout a guide. Also they completely broke Yuna one of my favourite characters within Final Fantasy >:(

Underdog15
 Underdog15
(@Underdog15)

Oh yeah, for sure. I didn't mean the story. Just some of the banter.

Underdog15
 Underdog15
(@Underdog15)

Well, the side missions, which admittedly make up most of your play, go off on different routes. The must play storyline missions had a very direct and intentional story.

I, also, missed the aeons, but the dressphere was appropriately complex. It allowed for lots of variety, and with different grids with different traits after changing jobs, you could really build up your characters around certain traits.

Again, as is with most FF's out there, you can just make everyone average at most jobs, or, do the smart thing, and make them focus on particular roles. Then it's excellent in it's ability to give you lots of options for bringing out the most of all roles.

Any idea how strong Yuna was as a BLM when I beefed up her Magic Power in boss battles by 160? Especially against bosses with an elemental weakness? Very quick finishes even against bosses technically more powerful than I!

I like that kind of choice and mixing, which is why I liked the battle system. Combined with it's excellent pace, your ability to space out attacks to delay enemy attacks.... just... so much you can do that it really takes time to master.

Arvis
 Arvis
(@Arvis)

Ultimadream,

True, nobody can say the removal of Aeons was a POSITIVE thing, but you have to look at the tradeoff. Each characters' "Super Mode" Special Dressphere thing basically let's you experience battle -AS IF YOU WERE A BOSS CHARACTER-. Much more so than the Aeons ever did. This was a welcome addition to the game, as it was fun to use and unique to experience.

Now, the Aeons were more diverse and interesting than these Special Dresspheres, but the point was to do something different, yet similar. X-2 walks that line so perfectly and delicately it's astounding. If I could play through every main series Final Fantasy game again, I would start with X-2. The most fun and addictive title in the franchise, even if it isn't the overall "best."

I think if people were just honest with themselves, they would admit that they simply didn't give the game a genuine chance because the girly bubbliness made them uncomfortable (understandably). So any talk of how GREAT the game is invokes immediate, knee-jerk reactions of "NO IT'S NOT I DIDN'T MISS OUT ON ANYTHING BY NOT PLAYING IT LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING."

This happens constantly in the gaming community. Just look at Gran Turismo and Forza fanboys.

-Arvis

Palpatations911
 Palpatations911
(@Palpatations911)

You just like wearing dresses, admit it.

TheHighlander
 TheHighlander
(@TheHighlander)

Ben, I think this might be the first time I find myself in disagreement with your review, based on your own review history. You've just given a very good review to a game with a poor story and an even poorer conclusion (as in there isn't one). More amazing to me than that - after all you've written on the subject of FF - is that the game is a Final Fantasy with a poor story and no conclusion, and yet you have still given it a very good score. That means that either the game play is utterly stellar, of you feel in love with the visuals. Since the game play is a modification of what happened with FFXIII, I can't see how it can ever qualify as stellar since it's fundamentally flawed at the fundamental level by not being turn based.

I'm sorry, whether or not this is a good game in it's own right, your review and previous comments do not lead me to agreeing with your score, or optimism about the game.

Yes, call me cynical, say I'm in a poor mood (which I am), but I am not buying into this at all.

Ben Dutka PSXE
 Ben Dutka PSXE
(@Ben Dutka PSXE)

It's all right. I knew you wouldn't like it; it isn't your style.

However, you can't just go basing an entire game score on story, especially when there's so much going on. If I only counted story, Skyrim would've gotten a 2.

A game can very easily not be story-driven and be a great game. In fact, MOST games today fall into that category. I'm a little disappointed that a Final Fantasy game did, but we can't be slaves to an ideal when there's so much quality about a particular production that shouldn't be ignored.

Last edited by Ben Dutka PSXE on 1/31/2012 10:16:14 AM

TheHighlander
 TheHighlander
(@TheHighlander)

Possibly so. I am in a very poor mood right now. too many games are disappointing me right now. You are right though, it's not my style and I was probably never going to like it.

Perhaps I should sit in my curmudgeon's corner for the next few days...

Ben Dutka PSXE
 Ben Dutka PSXE
(@Ben Dutka PSXE)

As I said in the review, I wish we could have a Final Fantasy with the linear focus on storytelling as we had in FFXIII, and the enhanced gameplay and depth we have in the sequel.

...not sure why Square Enix can't get this right. No FF scoring above a 9 in an entire generation at most places? That's just depressing, despite the fun I might be having with XIII-2.

CrusaderForever
 CrusaderForever
(@CrusaderForever)

As far no conclusions go, SE looks to be going the Back to the Future route. XIII-3 maybe the epic story everyone is looking for. Who knows what marbles are bouncing around in the that empty head that is SE. For a company that has fumbled the proverbial FF ball I sure enjoyed FFXIII and will no doubt love FFXIII-2.

Underdog15
 Underdog15
(@Underdog15)

I'm just sad people are talking about FFXIII-3...

Page 4 / 6
Share: