Clear all

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Review

82 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Excelsior1
 Excelsior1
(@Excelsior1)

Ha! I must admit that's the first time I've heard somebody say they were dissapoited a game did not get a terrible review score.

Posted : 31/01/2012 12:00 am
Beamboom
 Beamboom
(@Beamboom)

I think I see a faint blip on my irony-radar here...

Underdog15
 Underdog15
(@Underdog15)

😮

Ben Dutka PSXE
 Ben Dutka PSXE
(@Ben Dutka PSXE)

This, right here. See, Beamboom? Most, including reviewers, WANTED this to fail.

Palpatations911
 Palpatations911
(@Palpatations911)

Too bad you can't practice girl power and put a dress on to get new powers like in FFX-2. lol

Perhaps I overlooked the absurdity of JRPG' in the past, but that was definitely my cue to never buy another one of these types of games.

I must be the only one who thinks they're corny as hell on this site, but then again, I always thought japanese culture was pretty corny to begin with.

2 steps forward 5 steps back is what im getting from the reviews.
combats better then XIII but its still not a proper FF.
but then the story and characters are nowhere near as interesting or capturing.
i say 5 steps back because the story and characters are what FF is known for.
you go to FF exactly for that, not for combat.
just as you would a shooter for its combat, not its story.
in other words a FF with a poor story, is pointless!

TheHighlander
 TheHighlander
(@TheHighlander)

OM, I am in 100% agreement with you. To me this review reads like a review of Cross Edge, which is a game with an interesting combat system but zero story. Granted this has better production values, but still, it's a combat system with little in the way of characters and story, and yet it pulls down a very good score? Whatever.

It seems that you play it to 'play' with the combat system, not to follow the story or complete it. How can you complete a game that has no conclusion?

ZenChichiri
 ZenChichiri
(@ZenChichiri)

Ask people that play MMOs, as they do it all the time.

Last edited by ZenChichiri on 1/31/2012 1:16:20 PM

godsdream
 godsdream
(@godsdream)

Based in these review, I might get this game. The big difference is that with every FF since 7 I got all of them on day 1, and with this one I'm going to wait for it to drop at least to $30. I'm disappointed because the story is one of the main things about FF, and this one is still lacking.

Sorry SE but you still have much to improve to embrace again your old standards and make it up for all of us.

Last edited by godsdream on 1/31/2012 3:06:09 AM

Vivi_Gamer
 Vivi_Gamer
(@Vivi_Gamer)

Thanks for your review Ben, one thing that comforts me is that you said Noel and Serah were interesting characters. One of my biggest concerns was that Serah especially was just not lead material. I played the Demo and took an instant liking to Noel so that ontop of this reassuring.

The 2 human party does not bother me if they are characters I like, once I could choose my party I always kept Fang, Lighting and Hope in XIII-1. I am really looking forward to the monster system. To have a classic FF monster like a Tonberry, chocobo or Malboro (I so hope we get one!) in your party does make it up for me. It was one of the funnest gameplay elements in the demo for me. I look at games like FF6 which has a massive cast and feel it's just too much so I don't reckon it'll bother me.

I still don't like the Mog Clock, I preffered FFXIII's system with the eneimes on the map then transition, instead of enemies just poping up out of the blue nearby then transition. Just have then on the map or not, not this mess inbetween.

So did you find the open enviroments interesting overall? I played the demo and found myself having a quick nose around the Atlas quarantine site, but quickly moved on. I wasn't really interested int talking to everyone unlike in previous FF's.

The complaints on the story are worrying, what I loved ab out XIII was how the characters were but back into the foreground and we got story updates every 20 minutes. I hope the focus on gameplay doesn't escape to much from this, I hated the Temporal Rifts, which just seemed an excuse to slap a puzzle element into the game.

I have heard good things about the music else where, replaying XIII I realise how good the score actually is. I'm sure there will be a few gems in there I'll love.

I'll be sneaking into town before a lecture friday morning to get this along with my pre-order bonus stuff can't wait. After replaying XIII at the moment, I still feel it is one of the best gaming experiences this gen has offered I hope XIII-2 will deliver the same quality.

CrusaderForever
 CrusaderForever
(@CrusaderForever)

Interesting!! In XIII my party was Lightning, Fang and Hope as well. I liked hope because Lightning really took him under her wing to protect him. So I went with that and wow hope really transformed! This was a great review and I am really looking forward to playing XIII-2 after KoAR.

Underdog15
 Underdog15
(@Underdog15)

Hope was the best Ravager (statistically). Had the strongest magic stat. So he's not a bad choice for a party.

Vivi_Gamer
 Vivi_Gamer
(@Vivi_Gamer)

I agree, many seem to complain about Hope moaning all the time, but I thought he was a create character, the conflict in Palumpolum with Snow had me in tears. I also liked Lightinings mentor-ish care for him.

Ben Dutka PSXE
 Ben Dutka PSXE
(@Ben Dutka PSXE)

Light, Fang and Hope was so obviously the best all-around party. 🙂

CrusaderForever
 CrusaderForever
(@CrusaderForever)

That's cool, I just chose my party based on the story. I had no idea they were different as far as Hope being the best Ravager.

Page 3 / 6
Share: