Clear all

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Review

82 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
BikerSaint
 BikerSaint
(@BikerSaint)

Ha, SE probably fears the responses they'll get here for all their boneheaded backasswardness this gen.

Posted : 31/01/2012 12:00 am
BigBoss4ever
 BigBoss4ever
(@BigBoss4ever)

I will say, take the good from Lost Odyssey (turn based battle system + beautiful dream script + deep music + ancient mystic world) + FF13/13-2's character, CGI and traditional chocobo and moogle and side quests and towns, this might be a winning formula for a true JRPG.

Last edited by BigBoss4ever on 1/31/2012 12:04:18 AM

Vivi_Gamer
 Vivi_Gamer
(@Vivi_Gamer)

I liked Lost Odyssey, But it was very very cheesy through out... Still it was a great RPG one I would have loved to have on the PS3.

Palpatations911
 Palpatations911
(@Palpatations911)

When someone tells me it's a "JRPG" im basically being told "Of lesser quality".

I'll give it to them on Hardware, but Japan is falling off the map in terms of game development.

I'll buy another Final Fantasy when Blizzard, Bethesda, or SCEA Santa Monica get ahold of the rights to it.

bigrailer19
 bigrailer19
(@bigrailer19)

I dont think giving Bethesda the rights (it would never happen anyways) would make FF what it has always been, which is what the fans want, mind you! I love Bethesdas games (Skyrim is simply amazing) but they create the polar opposite of what FF is, or rather was! FF is indeed getting "westernized" but that's not what the long time fans want!

Beamboom
 Beamboom
(@Beamboom)

You know, its an interesting thought experiment - if nothing else - to ask what would be the result if a western developer created a jrpg (as opposed to the other way around) - the western company provided the technical framework with a Japanese experienced creative director.

Would be darn cool to see the result of that!

Underdog15
 Underdog15
(@Underdog15)

it's one thing to argue about the state of jRPG's, but it's another to try to say Japanese dev's are falling off the map. Some of the best games this gen have come from Japan.

Beamboom
 Beamboom
(@Beamboom)

@Underdog: In fairness I believe he's talking about the jrpgs here, not all devs. They do know how to make fast paced action games.

... I think? Right off the bat I were unable to come up with any Japanese favourites this gen other than Katamari Forever of course. You think of that racing sim?

Underdog15
 Underdog15
(@Underdog15)

Among other things like Nier, Deus Ex, and Metal Gear Solid 4. There's also Skyward Sword, DMC, and more. There's lots more, too. I can add more to the list, if you like. These are just off the top of my head without research.

Last edited by Underdog15 on 1/31/2012 10:10:05 AM

ZenChichiri
 ZenChichiri
(@ZenChichiri)

Deus Ex and DMC are just published by a Japanese company though. I do however agree that some of my favourites are from Japan this gen, including Valkyria Chronicles, Catherine, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Resonance of Fate, and Dark/Demon's Souls.

ZenChichiri
 ZenChichiri
(@ZenChichiri)

It's too bad the story isn't there but I'll enjoy it for what it is. I can't turn my head away from an RPG with as high production value as this. There still is hope for Square yet, but we'll have to see what their next move is.

Beamboom
 Beamboom
(@Beamboom)

I think it looks like they are onto something here. It takes more than one title to turn a trend, but on behalf of jrpgs in general and FF in particular I'm cautiously optimistic now. I actually felt a sting of curiosity while reading the review.

But the "had it not had been FF it would have scored higher" reasoning I disagree with. On the contrary, my logic tells me it's the other way around. All experience shows that a well established, respected brands pulls review scores *up*, not down.

I believe we experienced the exact same with GTA 4: Had that game not been a GTA released after the iconic GTA3-family (3/vc/sa) it would have ended up with a lower meta rating. It would still be a high metascore (obviously), but 97%? gtfo. That was a "Brand Bonus" in effect.

Last edited by Beamboom on 1/31/2012 2:28:38 AM

Ben Dutka PSXE
 Ben Dutka PSXE
(@Ben Dutka PSXE)

Beamboom: Absolutely not. The rampant hate FF suffers from, and the fact that this franchise is NOTHING what it used to be, has absolutely infected review scores. All critics hold FF to a certain standard, which is why I promise you the scores would be significantly higher if this were a new IP.

Underdog15
 Underdog15
(@Underdog15)

Past FF's before 13 meta around 90-92%. FFXIII was 82 and this one is currently 78. For one reason or another, Beamboom, critics consider it 10 marks worse than the rest of the franchise.

godsdream
 godsdream
(@godsdream)

Disappointed because the game is good?? I really don't understand some things in present days...

Last edited by godsdream on 1/31/2012 3:01:56 AM

Page 2 / 6
Share: