Notifications
Clear all

Dark Souls Review

Page 3 / 9
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

@Zettai

Rofl. Indeed, I've had a sticky situation near the cliff with the gold skeletons once. Let's just say my heart was pumping so hard.

It was pretty scary at first and Intimidating as well, this was when I first started to play. I played with a friend first then I did it on my own, and man.. scary stuff. I died a lot but I conquered that fear and now I mastered the game.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/10/2011 12:00 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Real Deal,
Beamboom hit the nail on the head here. It may well indeed be true that this Dark Souls review doesn't display the same level of passion as the WKCII review (not saying aye or nay on that, as that is not really the point of this post), but if Ben doesn't feel as strongly towards this game, or this type of game, then it logically follows that the flow of words will reflect that.

When writing, it's a problem that I frequently face when I simply can't get myself excited enough about a subject or story. The quality suffers and although I recognise this, redrafting does little to rectify those flaws.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Beamboom,

I understand it was a low blow to post the White Knight Chronicles review. But it was also a low blow to have Ben dismiss my initial comments based on his thinking that i am biased. But as far as the approach of this review being the same I disagree.

If you look at the two you can easily see that Ben describes his passion for White Knight Chronicles. Its a biased review but at the same time also effective because it goes into detail about the game. Where on the other hand the Demon Souls review is vague and inpassionate. The problem is, I don't think Ben even knows the specifics about the game. I dont think Ben played more than a couple of hours of the game. I don't believe Ben even went online with the game.

Ben Said: "Besides, the multiplayer feature remains highly attractive and innovative. The inherent difficulty encourages you to team up with other players, which is a great experience and one that can be supremely helpful. Furthermore, the ever-present danger of players invading your game is a nice touch."

This is the extent of the multiplayer portion of the review. The multiplayer in Dark Souls is half the reason this game is so great. That statement does no justice in conveying that.

And as far as the analytical part being the same, sure if analytical is a summary of the games description. And I never said that 8.6 is a bad score. The problem i have is the way in which it was given...

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

@TRD:

Of course, at the time Ben reviewed the game, the multiplayer was probably extremely limited since only reviewers had a copy. You're unhappy because he didn't give more emphasis to a portion of the game that was, effectively, unavailable to him until after launch. Sure, he could have waited to post his review, but with all the PSXE readers eager for this title, I'm glad he got it out in time to let us know if there are any glaring flaws we should know about.

Don't be too upset about Ben's review. As you pointed out, he gave it an 8.6, which is a great score, and the review's content was complete given what game features were available. Don't get hung up on the wording. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

@Real deal
We all read his WKC2 review... instead of a huge copy/paste, just link to the article next time....

By the way.... he scored this game higher than WKC2... so not sure what you're getting at.

In all honesty, who give a flying frick about whether he's more passionate about jRPG's than something like Demon Souls? What matters is that in the face of jRPG's he likes, he still gives a fair review, and likewise, in the face of Demon Souls, which he may not have a personal taste for, he STILL gives a fair review.

What more do you want?

Lots of reviewers out there let personal preference affect their scores unfairly.

Last edited by Underdog15 on 10/4/2011 805 AM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

@Real Deal: With analytical I mean that he's using the same template on every review, where he focus on storyline, gameplay, audio, graphics, etc and try to weight these elements as best as he can. That's a pattern that seems to be followed almost like a checklist no matter what game is reviewed.
And in that sense this game is reviewed just like any other game.

That being said I think I understand where you are coming from. I am a fan of, well, anything BioWare really but in particular Mass Effect, and to me the ME2 review didn't really emphasis on what ME2 were really about; the wonderful persona gallery and the personal history of every person that is explored while making them loyal to you. To me that is a much bigger part of ME2 than the main story facing the reapers.

But I think you need to really love the ME universe in order to fully appreciate this! To an average player I guess the loyalty quests were just missions like any other, on the way to the finale.

So yes, to me too you do seem to be a bit biased. In my opinion you appear to be a "typical fan", but there is noting wrong in that! Enjoy the game, cherish the moments!
But as fans we do see a game through different eyes than the rest. We just have to live with that. 🙂

Last edited by Beamboom on 10/4/2011 813 AM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I'm dismissing your comments because A. I don't have TIME to deal with them, and B. you HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME.

Do you normally get into debates with people about games you supposedly love, in ardent defense of them, when you've never even touched them? I don't know about you, but I'm not about to lecture someone on a game they've been playing for a VERY long time when I've never even played a second of it. THIS is where your bias is obviously coming into play.

Lastly, it's painfully obvious that you're going to get the game anyway. What do you even care? Why even make the comment and call me out for a lack of quality? Why the personal attack? Over an 8.6? Yeah, terrible score; I'd freak out, too. 'rolling eyes'

I'm through here. If you have a problem with the reviews, don't read them.

Last edited by Ben Dutka PSXE on 10/4/2011 927 AM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Copying and pasting another review into the comments section ... what next...

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I was prepared to give Ben the benefit of the doubt, here, as his last words in the review make it versatile enough to warrent appreciation.

But i've been reading so many reviews since (something i rarely do) and this has to be the worst i have read (worst being a strong negative term here, but take note: It's still a decent review). So much personal experience has gone into these other reviews.

And that's just it. It ain't a problem about score, it's in the writing. There's no passion or enough detail....at times it reads like a features list rather than detail each feature (or at least new ones) for good and bad.

I just read one review in which the reviewer spent a paragraph detailing his awe of this small, new online feature. He mentioned that the innovations online have gone so many steps further that it now effects the atmosphere of the game. The example he gave was that the two bells you have to ring can be heard ringing in the distance anytime another player in another game (and within reason as to not have it too repetitive) makes it there and rings it.
That blew my mind when i read that.

He also went onto detail the factions and, here, it doesn't sound like much, but after reading this guys personal experience with it, my mouth hit the floor with just how much further Dark Souls is going....and guess what? That same reviewer noted the at times iffy lock on system, infact, all the criticisms noted here, but remained that it does little to hinder the experience.

Dark Souls is doing an awful lot more than it's predecessor according to detailed reviews and footage. It is not more of the same, no, that's R3 or CoD.

It made me think that maybe that piece on hard games don't suck, but you suck....should be heeded by the writer lol 😛

But to end on a positive, this is still in no way a bad review and the score, not that i personally care, is good. It must be hard having to review so many games as mostly a one man army, at times, you're gonna hit a speed bump.

However, we must remember, reviews are just one person's view, no better than your own.

Last edited by Lotusflow3r on 10/4/2011 752 PM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Lotus: I understand that, but this is a relatively new trend in reviews. Because the idea is that reviews are "all opinion" these days, more critics are rambling on and on about how the game "made them feel" and other vague, personal opinions.

Honestly, I don't see how that helps the consumer in the least. I'm trying to explain what the game is, what it does well, what it does poorly, and who might want to buy it (if anyone). In my view, that's the point of a product review in any entertainment venue.

I might include some minor personal impressions but that's about it. Furthermore, I believe all those intimate "oh, Dark Souls made me feel such and such way" observations are PURPOSELY covering up what it mechanically wrong with the game. It's painfully obvious and I don't think it should be glossed over with some meaningless "impact" opinions of one person.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I get your frustration, but i think the backlash came from the fact that you usually do get very personal and detailed with the many great reviews you've done (see your Heavy Rain).

Check the comments on that review in which you got personal and detailed to see why personal experiences can move a reader to action i.e. buying or understanding. It's a ploy used by sales people to make them engage in a product. It can be used to truly make a reader see your view for what it is. Sometimes a personal connection to a game can lessen an impact of a lock on system that may occasionally mess up...because you're too engaged in everything else, that's what i'm reading elsewhere. SoTC had some irksome problems, but because of the emotional impact it has had on us, they're all but erased....that's why it's important. Sometimes the package might be too unforgettable to get caught up on a lock on system that may or may not mess up.

I know you know this, man. You own your own bloody review site, for heaven's sake lol, but, ya know....in case you forgot.

I might sound like i'm venting in my post like you may usually think i do, but that's not it this time. I'm just understanding why the original poster is getting mass agreement.

Again, i don't like sounding too negative when talking about others, so don't think you've done a bad review, just one that's not up to your standards, especially on a game which many probably eagerly awaited from you.

You don't need to defend yourself vigorously here, Ben. In fact, be glad there's a big community here that cares enough to write respectful paragraphs of some disagreement!

Rage next, right? 🙂

Last edited by Lotusflow3r on 10/4/2011 821 PM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Ben,

In regards to this new trend of reviews being to opinionated and that you are straying away from it. I believe that this site has lived and breathed through your opinions on such topics. Again if your trying to say that you don't have the time to put into this site then i understand and will find other sites that fill that void.

But i do believe that you are constantly contradicting yourself. Using the White Night Chronicles again as an example you said: I believe all those intimate "oh, Dark Souls made me feel such and such way" observations are PURPOSELY covering up what it mechanically wrong with the game. It's painfully obvious and I don't think it should be glossed over with some meaningless "impact" opinions of one person. But you obviously used the oh, White Knight Chronicles made me feel so awesome so don;t worry about whats wrong with it. I also believe your review on Skyrim will be in the same vain.

Not saying Skyrim will be bad, but if it has issues you will use the oh, Skyrim was the best ever and the issues never got in the way.

As far as the statement that i never played the game when i first commented was correct. But i had watched 24 hours of gameplay. 100 articles read about the game. Bought it midnight last night and am know posting having played it and its better than Demon Souls, granted there might be a issue with the camera control and lock feature. But they are small potatoes compared to the overall experience.

Which is what i wanted conveyed in the review. As far as why i am even bothering commenting on a game that i already was going to buy. Because this article does little to inform PSXEtreme members of the greatness of Dark Souls. And might even turn some people that were on the fence from even buying it.

When i see games like Fallout New Vegas selling like hot cakes even with all of its glitches it makes me mad that a game like Dark Souls or Uncharted doesn't. You Ben might be the reason someone buys or doesn't buy a game. And because of that your reviews should never be a summarized version of basic information but a detailed, descriptive masterpiece. Even if that means you score a good game bad or a bad game good. At least we get another persons personal experience to judge for our self.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Well, my problem with The Read Deal's comment was the very first line, which implied that I didn't play enough of the game to write an accurate review. That's insulting. I also don't understand how someone who has never played a game can lecture someone who has.

I admit I will put more personal opinion into a review if a game really grabs me, as with Heavy Rain. But you may notice that I don't do that with games that DON'T grab me, especially ones that I know are good. I try to be an optimist in that way. If I were to fill this review with my personal opinions about how the game affected me, the comments would've been waaaaay worse. Trust me on that. 😉

I maintain that this review is in no way a lesser quality than any other review. Just because it's lacking the personal, intimate side (which people probably wouldn't want to hear in this case), doesn't mean I'm omitting anything.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

The Real Deal: The problem is that you keep wanting to promote Dark Souls. You don't really have any other purpose here, I don't think.

And I'm not contradicting myself at all. I said exactly the same thing about WKCII as I did about Dark Souls: those who liked the predecessor will enjoy the new game. Just because I liked one more than the other does NOT mean one got a more accurate review. That's incorrect. Look, the camera, lock-on, and parts of the control ARE a problem. They just are. And a much BIGGER problem than it was in Demon's Souls.

As for personal opinion in my reviews, read the above comment to lotus to get a better idea of what I mean.

Last edited by Ben Dutka PSXE on 10/4/2011 859 PM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Ben,

I truly have allot of respect for this site and think it ranks among the best. And i can't count how many times your reviews and articles have blown me away with there accuracy and scope. I will end this debate on my end. I have said what i wanted to say, and just to let you know i wasn't trying to personalize my comments it just happened because of the conversation.

I hope you have taking something from this conversation, because i have. I do respect you and know that you work very hard and it shows. Its why i am so critical of your work on this site. With lots of gaming love i bid you farewell until next time!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 9
Share: