Publisher:
Namco Bandai
Developer:
From Software
Number Of Players:
1-4
Genre:
RPG

When the game’s slogan is “prepare to die,” you know you’re in for it. But provided you have the fortitude and determination to push through Dark Souls , you will be richly rewarded. I’m not as impressed with the core mechanics as other critics seem to be, and I believe the beauty and mystery of this world often dulls in the face of ceaseless chains of death (which results in repetition), but the game’s hardcore appeal can’t be denied. Furthermore, there’s little doubt that fans of Demon’s Souls will be plenty satisfied.

Visually, the game is appropriately dark and intimidating. Something horrifying and downright deadly could lurk around every corner and every once in a while, you catch glimpses of breathtaking scenery. The diversity of the landscapes is fantastic and the detail on particularly large bosses is absolutely mind-blowing. I think From Software goes a touch heavy on the grays and browns – it gets a little monotonous – but then again, this is not an attractive, cutesy atmosphere. Besides, the environment has a profound effect on the player, and that’s what matters most.

In many ways, I think the audio of the game is the biggest highlight. Much of your adventure is surprisingly quiet as the soundtrack picks its spots, but it’s this subtlety that puts you in touch with your terrifying quest. The sensation is always palpable. Because you always feel on the verge of death, that silence often adds to your fear and anxiety; it’s as if the world is just waiting to unleash a fatal monster or event. The effects are crisp and accurate, and the relatively small amount of voice acting is great, too. It all combines to enrich the experience.

You are an Undead chosen to make a nearly impossible pilgrimage. You will first choose your class, a unique gift, and a little perk, and you’re on your way. During the introductory part of your adventure, you will take on some basic enemies and eventually take down a huge demon with a spiked club. The latter is plenty challenging enough (depending on your chosen class), but that’s just a taste. A huge raven picks you up and brings you to Lordran, a land full of secrets, ordeals, and nightmarish creatures. Your goal is to ring both Bells of Awakening.

You just gotta reach ‘em. Both paths are jam-packed with peril and trepidation and with every step, you’re risking it all…literally. When you die, you’ll be returned to the last bonfire at which you rested, and you will have lost any souls you collected. The good news is that if you can reach your bloodstain from the previous death, you can get all those souls back; the bad news is that if you don’t reach it and die again, the first batch of souls is gone forever. You just have to be resilient; you have to upgrade your equipment with shards, level up, and find helpful items.

There are some new elements we didn’t see in Demon’s Souls . First up is the chance to side with a certain Faction, a group that will grant you special abilities depending on the situation. This also has an impact on the multiplayer, as other players in the same Faction can’t invade your quest. More on that in a second. Another difference is the world, which seems bigger and less restrictive. Some areas remain locked until you take down one of the game’s many bosses, but this environment is more dynamic and larger in scope.

Souls represent the game’s currency. That’s why they’re so damn valuable, and why death can be immensely frustrating. But it also forces you to be conscientious; every step of the adventure requires your undivided attention. One misstep and all your hard work could be gone, which might result in some enraged controller snapping (I would have an extra controller handy, just in case). At the game’s central hub, you can pick up new skills and equipment, but remember that Souls are used for both, so you frequently have to make difficult decisions. Bonfires are also used for saving and resting; they become sources of great relief.

It’s an engaging, brutal, rewarding journey that features a ridiculous number of challenges, many of which are original and invigorating. But I felt continually cheated by a camera that sits way too close and a lock-on mechanic that fails in particularly trying situations. The lock-on for Demon’s Souls was iffy, too, but the camera is a whole new problem. You’re routinely blindsided because visibility in the immediate area is limited, and huge bosses can cause the camera to go completely haywire. It happens more when not locked on, but it remains an issue.

Due to the cramped nature of so many spaces, this drawback never seems to go away. Plus, the fidgety lock-on system becomes more problematic with multiple enemies. Now, if you’re playing as a ranged character, the camera issue becomes minimal in severity. You might not even notice it much. But as a Warrior, Knight, or Bandit, you’re going to notice it instantly; it rears its ugly head during the very first boss fight. My last problem is a layover from the game’s predecessor: I just don’t think using Souls for everything is a good idea.

Overall, though, in a game where survival is key, you won’t find anything even remotely similar to Dark Souls (well, except for Demon’s Souls ). It challenges you on a number of different levels and the mesmerizing world will keep you coming back for more. Besides, the multiplayer feature remains highly attractive and innovative. The inherent difficulty encourages you to team up with other players, which is a great experience and one that can be supremely helpful. Furthermore, the ever-present danger of players invading your game is a nice touch.

Dark Souls tests you. It puts you in an absurd situation and asks you to not only survive, but to conquer. You have to be careful but at the same time, you can’t remain idle. You can’t sit around beating enemies after resting at a bonfire (enemies respawn when you do so), because you just won’t get anywhere. Sure, you’ll level up but you are tasked with progression. Everything from flaming barrels rolling down steps to freakish creatures lurking in the shadows can spell your end, and the surge of satisfaction that accompanies a fresh feat is indescribable.

However, I maintain that mechanically, the game isn’t as sound as it should’ve been. With slower characters, the responsiveness is called into question, and the camera simply accounted for too many of my deaths. It seems I have to fight the mechanics almost as often as the enemies. Lastly, because you die so often, you find yourself retracing your steps a lot . Some won’t mind but this got quite repetitive for me; it felt even more repetitive than the retracing in Demon’s Souls . Nevertheless, I’m sure this game is perfect for just the right person.

The Good: Fantastic, immersive world. Nail-biting audio. Beautifully designed bosses and epic encounters. Different classes offer very different gameplay experiences. Immensely satisfying and rewarding. Multiplayer is an innovative bonus.

The Bad: Brutal difficulty can diminish enjoyment. Camera is often a major issue. Lock-on system still isn’t quite right.

The Ugly: “Wow…getting pretty sick of all this dying.”

Topic starter Posted : 03/10/2011 12:00 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I will be getting this one twice. Going to have to get it for the 360 first as my old 80GB ps3 is down. Once I fix/replace I will be getting it again for it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/10/2011 12:00 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Hopefully they fix the camera and lock-on system via a patch relatively soon. I do wish they would have went with Atlus rather than Namco, but all good things must pass.

I have the collectors edition pre-ordered through amazon, i'm hoping it comes tomorrow because i work the late shift wednesday and i can stay up all night playing Dark Souls.

Pretty good review, though, Ben. Its pretty much what i expected from the game, so i think i'll be very happy.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I didn't like how Xbox 360 got the exclusive content but it makes it fair for them since we got Demon's Soul as our exclusive.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

What exclusive content? Near as I can tell from the press, the two versions are identical, with the PS3 supposedly winning out in graphics due to compression issues for the 360.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Wasn't that Skyrim?

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Ben,

I am a little confused as to why you even posted this review. It seems like you didn't even play it enough to give it justice. This is more of a snippet of general information on the game rather than a personal account of your experiences.

Your reviews tend to have a certain quality that i respect. Your opinion tends to way heavy on my purchase of said game. Not because of the review score you posted, but the article itself. This is the one instance where i feel something is missing. If i could ask how long did you spend with the game? Where you able to get online before you reviewed it?

And lastly i ask you to apply the same standard to the other RPG's that you have reviewed. Such as Two Worlds II which i picked up after reading you're review(note: did not like it)and White Knight Chronicles II. Just to name the most recent ones. These games have many issues but as far as i could tell you still were able to post a personal detailed review.

I understand your dislike for the camera but as with any game maybe its more about getting used to it rather than saying its a major issue. FYI i watched the 24 hour marathon at IGN and from what i saw the camera looks the same as Demon Souls.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I am still playing Demon's Souls and I understand how bad the lock-on camera can get during combat. I remember trying to lock onto one of the several enemies approaching me but what it did was made my character look at the opposite direction. That's quite bad, particularly for a game like this were a misstep can be really costly. Don't get me wrong, I love the game. It's something that I have to get used to, but it still is quite a big flaw. It's sad to see that it still seems to be an issue on Dark Souls.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

If I may speak for Ben before he gets around to responding, he's a very busy man and he has a LOT on this plate for this season especially. He can't be expected to spent multitudes of hours on every single game he needs to review. I would also just like to say that just because you have differing opinions on Two Worlds II, it doesn't mean his review is wrong. In all honesty you should never let a review weigh that heavily on a decision to buy a game.
As a last note just let me say I am in no way trying to start anything here, I'm just letting you know that Ben is a very busy guy and opinions will more than likely differ on some issues.
And Ben if you have any issue with people speaking for you, let me know and I'll never do it again.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I'm gonna eat this game up tomorrow, bought Demon Souls twice:D

I've been dying to get back into this world.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

My brother has been dying to play this. I don't think I know a guy who has spent more time under the hood of RPG's than he has. Demon Souls to him was like mana from heaven.

I can tell this game isn't much to Ben's liking, but he respects it for it's place in gaming.

I won't be able to get around to this game until after Demon's Souls.. which, well, I don't know when that will ever be.

I will say Gamespot raves it, and I have to say I totally respect the writer of the IGN review who said this in his closing comments:

"The reviewer's job is difficult when it comes to a game like Dark Souls. I simply can't unreservedly recommend that you buy it. It's not a game that you play to relax. It doesn't care in the slightest about whether you're enjoying yourself, and it doesn't give a fig for your notions of entertainment or your mental well-being. If you just play games for fun, this isn't for you, and no amount of insistence on my part is going to change that. But if you're interested in the limits of the videogame form – to see just how focused, how pure and how uncompromising in its vision a game can be – Dark Souls is unmissable. If you take the time get into Dark Souls' mindset, to begin to understand the twisted way in which it operates and taste the rewards behind its cruellest challenges, this is one of the most thrilling, most fascinating and most completely absorbing experiences in gaming."

-IGN

Last edited by Temjin001 on 10/3/2011 1027 PM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Problems with gameplay mechanics? okay this is brutal, Demons Souls gameplay mechanics were smooth and never got me into problems.

I blame the time they spent on the 360 version instead of polish it more.

Last edited by Oxvial on 10/3/2011 1043 PM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

So a rather average shooter like resistance 3 get a 9.3 with too many elements heavily borrow from *cough* cod *cough* totaly unorigional. Yet this gets a 8.5? Its still a fair review but im just saying either way many other sites give it high praise (gamespot a 9.5 didnt see that 1 coming) dark souls is still a win. Demons souls vets know whats up.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

agreed, thumbs up to you sir.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Jack, you should've saw Gamespot's score coming. They gave Demon's Souls their GotY in 2009.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 9
Share: