Clear all

inFamous 2 Review

129 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
TheHighlander
 TheHighlander
(@TheHighlander)

You keep on doing what you do Ben. You gave the game an overall 86, which is pretty well high praise from PSX. I'd rather read a substantive review with scores that are backed up by words, than read a superficial review and scores that are backed up by sponsorship or hit numbers.

Posted : 08/06/2011 12:00 am
bearbobby
 bearbobby
(@bearbobby)

Not every game, Ben. But maybe just this one 🙂

WorldEndsWithMe
 WorldEndsWithMe
(@WorldEndsWithMe)

yeah you're review is right in line with some of the others out there, no problems just a lot if inFamous fans including me. This will just have to be the rare occasion I agree with IGN.

Lairfan
 Lairfan
(@Lairfan)

Well, this is one of those reviews where I'm gonna have to disagree with you Ben. IMO, inFamous 2 is better than inFamous 1 in pretty much every way, at least at the point I'm at now (about 35% of the way through the story).

I've never really had a problem with the stickiness of these games, but even so, it feels like they "fixed" it when compared to the last one (I don't think its half as bad as you're describing it). So far the karma system isn't all that erratic, it feels like there's a definite line between good and evil choices. And the voice acting has never bothered me in the slightest, and I don't even know why that should be an issue as long as the new voice actor is good (which, IMO, he is).

Add to that the game's definite positives, which you go into detail about and I pretty much agree with, and this is a 9.3 for me. Yeah, its got some issues technically, and the camera for melee is iffy in spots, but its better than the first in most every way IMO. 8.6/10 is still a great score though, so in the end it doesn't really matter as long as the game's being scored accurately.

Btw Ben, I've noticed a trend this year with PS3 exclusive sequels. LBP2 got a lower score than LBP1. KZ3 got a lower score than KZ2. And now inFamous 2 got a lower score than inFamous 1. So I'm really interested to see what R3 and Uncharted 3 get later this year.

Chamoru_Warrior
 Chamoru_Warrior
(@Chamoru_Warrior)

Been a long time recipient of the PSX Extreme newsletters and the site stands among my favorites for game news and media (can't stand IGN just as much as the next man). I've already grown accustomed to comments from regulars like world, highlander, jawknee and enjoy reading their insight I just never got around to starting a user account. This being said, this is the first time I've been compelled to comment due to my total disagreement with the score here. Partly being because I think Ben churns out the best most justified reviews and because most of the regulars already said what I was thinking. But this just doesn't seem right. Infamous 2 is a vast improvement over the first in practically every way. Mechanics feel fresher and more responsive, the frame rate looks far more consistent (even though it was damn smooth in the first one) and the graphics. Holiest crap the graphics and set pieces. It's a marvel to behold something of this graphical caliber running the way it does on the current generation hardware in the size and scale of Infamous 2. Yeah RDR and LA Noire other open worlders had big beautiful environments but Infamous 2 I find far more technically impressive because we're talking God of War 3 caliber grand set pieces and boss battles happening in a sandbox game. It's never been done before--not on this scale and still managed to look this fantastic. I just think the game deserves no less than 9.2. And yes Ben not just because it's an exclusive but because it succeeds so well in so much of what it set out to accomplish. 8.6 just seems unfairly underrated. Yep 9.2 at the very least.

Chamoru_Warrior
 Chamoru_Warrior
(@Chamoru_Warrior)

and yeah sorry my bad for not spacing in clusters...was just in tangent mode I guess. ah well...

Beamboom
 Beamboom
(@Beamboom)

What? Is that weapon for pre-orders only?

Posted : 09/06/2011 12:00 am
ElJefeDiablo
 ElJefeDiablo
(@ElJefeDiablo)

Unfortunately, I heard it through the flesh wall that the boss has a new job opening. The minion in charge of torturing souls by b!tching incessantly was impaled in the head by a stalactite. You're up.

frylock25
 frylock25
(@frylock25)

its cool i just didnt know what that was supposed to mean.

Beamboom
 Beamboom
(@Beamboom)

Me too!

Beamboom
 Beamboom
(@Beamboom)

Amen to that, Ben.

Beamboom
 Beamboom
(@Beamboom)

Now, I've only played the demo (yet!) and I loved the first infamous as much as the next man, but, 93%???
That's on the level of major chapters in the modern gaming history, titles like Red Dead Redemption, BioShock, MGS4 and Mass Effect 2?!?!

Last edited by Beamboom on 6/9/2011 6:14:06 AM

Beamboom
 Beamboom
(@Beamboom)

"not just because it's an exclusive" - the number of other platforms a title is released for should not ever affect the rating of the release in *any* direction, imo.

Other than that, I refer to my reply above. A rating of 92+ is *much* more than a very good game... Way above 90 we talk about titles that are redefining an entire genre, that set the bar for others to dream of, something extraordinary, huge accomplishments both on an artistic and technical level!
I do not doubt inFamous 2 is great, but is it *that*?

Last edited by Beamboom on 6/9/2011 6:31:38 AM

jimmyhandsome
 jimmyhandsome
(@jimmyhandsome)

@ Beamboom, so far to me a 9.3 isn't too far off from what I would grade it. I'm about 41% through and the story just started to get interesting.

A part of me wants to take my time playing through it and savor it, but a part of me also wants to keep playing.

sawao_yamanaka
 sawao_yamanaka
(@sawao_yamanaka)

I think some people can agree to disagree. I think Ben's review is fair and he does have a good enough reason to give that score. Also I agree with the UCG it really feels tacked on and badly placed. Some of the missions, well they were just bad but the main story was great.
Better than the 1st in my opinion. I would award this game a 9+, especially after seeing both endings! (Definitely play on evil karma)

Page 8 / 9
Share: