what kinda car should i get next?
A lamborghini or a ferrari? i want one that handles nicely on the track

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/11/2010 12:00 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Lamborghini...

Ferrari is better than most, but Lamborghinis are the best you can get. Well as far as sports cars go.

LeMans cars are probably the best right next to Formula 1s

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

...and this is why Arnold will have to review every GT, regardless of age or generation. 😉

It's also why, as I said, we need people who know something about the sport in question to review such a game.

Normally, I would just say read as much about a game as you can; read all the reviews you typically read, do the research, and make a purchase decision. But in this case, I urge you to go by our analysis over others, ONLY because it's a more informed viewpoint from a real-life perspective.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Is Arnold a car lover?

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

HAHA, you could say that. Arnold is the resident car guru.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I think the issues that Polyphony have with GT5 is due to the ps3 having a sub-par GPU. Sure the CPU is great, but cell is only good for mathematical computation. It's amazing that they have done what they have done on the PS3's GPU to be honest.

And I have no doubt in my mind that gt6 will be for ps4, which would most likely just use a GPU (basically i dont see why not).

And I hope that they dont give us too much free extra content, because more money = more staff = quicker/higher quality productions.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Idk, they've had 2 games on each playstation thus far, why not 2 on the ps3?

They can improve. GT3 was gorgeous on the ps2 yet they pulled a little more power out of it for GT4. Sony's first party devs are some of the best in the world, they can make the hardware sing with a little more time to work on the engine.

As far as free stuff, they've already made enough money to cover costs if the 1.8m sales # is correct.

Last edited by NoSmokingBandit on 11/28/2010 1040 PM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

No, the only issue is the smoke, that can be fixed with a patch. I actually would blame 3D (it takes resources).

Other than that the game shines, the lighting is simply amazing, from the the landscape to the pavement, to the cars, the sun/street lights and car lights are just simply unbelievable.

Toscana anyone?

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

"due to the ps3 having a sub-par GPU. Sure the CPU is great, but cell is only good for mathematical computation."

Boy, where to start?

First of all, a GPU is in the simplest terms a math coprocessor. It's a device that specifically handles certain types of floating point math very, very well.

Secondly, everything in computers comes down to math. Everything in the world of physics, environment, or graphics comes down to floating point math. The GPU is specifically targeted at certain floating point tasks, the Cell SPUs are more general, though they are biased to single precision floating point math.

Thirdly, the RSX is actually a pretty quick processor in it's own right, but it's far from being a general purpost processor. It actually out performs the GPU in the 360 in terms of straight floating point math operations. The GPU in the 360 has the advantage in some kinds of operation that are performed in hardware instead of software, so it actually tends to come out on top in many ways. However RSX is no slouch and when combined with the Cell and it's SPUs it's a very good combination. Which is why you have a game with the accurate physics, car modeling, aerodynamics and other elements running at 1080p on the PS3 and not the 360.

To say that the Cell is only good for math is like saying that Heidi Klum is only good for modeling clothes. Everything that the GPU does uses floating point math which is precisely what the Cell is very good at. The Cell itself was originally intended to run the PS3 on it's own without a GPU, but they decided to add the GPU to the design as a supplement. IBM specifically designed the Cell BE processor to be a media processor, in other words it's designed to handle video and audio data.

The reason you don't just use the GPU is that it's a pointless waste of computational power to leave processor elements on the CPU idle when they can help with the work being done by the GPU.

The Cell's SPUs are quite commonly used to perform post effects in PS3 exclusive games. Multi-plat games tend not to use that technique because the devs don't have the knowledge.

You have a heavily skewed understanding of how to program a game, that is typical of PC centric folks.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

The average score for GT5 is 8.7 now................what the hell has Sony ever done to those people?

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Someone asked that in another thread recently. here is my take on that Sony hate....

Many years ago...Sony BMG (not Sony proper) tried to put DRM on music CDs and the people that built the DRM software for them used a very nasty tactic that bricked some PCs. Everyone blamed Sony.

Sony makes (or used to make) lots of Lithium Ion batteries, not long after the DRM debacle, there were some incidents with batteries that 'exploded'. Because Sony was a leading maker of the batteries, a lot of them were Sony batteries. Despite evidence that many (NOT all) of the instances were due to things other than a flaw in the battery , most people - and the US media in particular, blamed Sony. Sony recalled millions of batteries and was ridiculed for doing it.

This was all during the years prior to the PS3 launch. leading up to the launch of the PS3 the press around sony took a decidedly negative turn, possibly due to people wanting to dethrone the kind, possibly due to many geeks having a slightly irrational grudge because of the DRM thing, and possibly due in part to an underhanded marketing campaign by another console maker. However when the PS3 launched at an unheard of, and ridiculous price of $500 and $600, it was as if someone unleashed a firestorm.

Personally, I think that a lot of this has to do with parochial, perhaps even jingoistic, bias among the majority of the web and media's tech writers. Either way, it's gone on for so long now that it's almost ingrained in some of the minds behind it. They literally think that Sony did something terrible and must somehow be punished. I've seen people express the sentiment that Sony should be punished for releasing the PS3 at such a high price. Punished?

In truth, Sony Computer Entertainment International had exactly nothing to do with either the DRM fiasco or the batteries or any other imagined sleight that Sony has committed. SCEI is 'guilty' of launching a video console with supercomputer speed and a high pricetag, that was initially hard to develop for.

The other odd aspect is BluRay. Despite HD-DVD being an almost entirely proprietary standard, and BluRay being a industry standard promoted by 30-odd companies. BluRay was portrayed as being Sony proprietary, and Sony was supposedly forcing this technology on people. There were asrtoturfing campaigns to promote HD-DVD and denigrate BluRay for nearly 18 months until HD-DVD finally did what it should have, and died. In truth, BluRay is/was superior in capacity and data rates. It was often portrayed as slower and somehow less capable than HD-DVD, but as we all know, that really wasnt the case. However it provided yet another focus of negativity against Sony.

In the end, Sony's biggest 'crimes' seem to be 1) Being successful, and 2) not being American.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I don't think it has anything to do with them not being American. Gamers and geeks didn't suddenly wake up and decide Sony must be brought down because they are Japanese. People loved Sony in the PS1 and 2 days. It's more likely to the slip ups they have had as you listed and the bad launch of the PS3. That's what really set people off and MS capitalized on that with their FUD strategy.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Fwiw, damage doesnt get unlocked. I'm a level 12 and i crumpled an opponent's bumper in one race (my dog wouldnt shut up and i looked away for 0.5 seconds. SMASH!). It was a really hard hit, and the bumper had a tiny dent in it, so i'm assuming the damage just gets more accurate as time goes on. Idk. All i do know is that i damaged a car in the Amateur series at lvl 12.

As far as the review goes, its nice to read when the authors knows what he/she is talking about. Other sources barely touched the game before slapping a number on it and publishing a review.

I do agree that some things are a disappointment due to the long dev cycle, but you cant compare GT5 based on how long it took. Its the best racing sim on the market, no question about it. Therefore it gets a 9.9. It doesnt matter if it took them 10 years to make it. Gt5 is still the best by a long shot.

I've still not been able to finish the Samba bus race. I got pissed and just quit 😀 I'll be interested to see what GS has to say about GT5. The guy who talked in their "now playing" video called the '62 VW a "camper bus," which is inaccurate as it doesnt have the pop-up camper top. Not a biggie, but it makes me question his car knowlegde right off the bat.

Last edited by NoSmokingBandit on 11/28/2010 1033 PM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

No, greater/advanced damage has to be unlocked.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

The Sambabus event can be done. First of all make sure that the automatic Stability Management is turned off. Then use drafting, stay close and take them at turns, they brake earlier than you need to. Also the final straight has a huge opportunity because at the speed you are doing, following the racing line is nuts. The AI drivers will, but you are smarter and only need to take the racing line for the speed you're going. It should shave a lot of time off the lap and let you pass those you need to.

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 15
Share: