Gran Turismo 5 Revi...

Notifications
Clear all

Gran Turismo 5 Review

Page 4 / 15
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Ha! I doubt it, maybe a 9.1, they say something about it not have custom stickers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/11/2010 12:00 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Arnold, you've served a great reminder why you, along with Ben, are amongst the best reviewers on the internet today.

I'm not saying because you've given my favorite PS3 title a good score (yes, its got there really fast!), but because you have pointed out the flaws, and explained how little they matter in the big picture.

Well done, mate!

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

good review

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Such a shame Forza 3 has a more high metacritic score.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Their loss. And by "they", I am referring to the "other" critics/gamers.

But regardless, the truth isn't always a calculable average or obvious to everyone, nor do the naysayers make up for the fans, nor vice-versa. So metacritic doesn't concern me much. A thoughtful, reflective, well written review however does.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

It's easy to figure it out by early figures that GT5 to break Forza3's sales, easily
froza3 has reaches the 2 million point after couple of month after release , which will give us good indications that GT5 has a lot more respect and reputation than any other game beside that a lot of more people are no longer trusting some reviews from specific sites.

Last edited by ABUrabad on 11/28/2010 414 PM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

The only explanation I can think of is that Forza 3 had no competitor on the same platform at the time (it still doesn't). Having played a ton of FOrza 3, I'd say it's easily the console's best racer. PGR4 was quite good, too. It's metacritic average isn't mis-representational.

But GT5's is.
GT5 seems to have underwhelmed so many critics for reasons that fail to make good arguments. Typically, I can read a review and understand a score based on the argument the reviewer makes. BUt in GT5's case, it seems so many were blindsided by set-backs that rather than saying "thank you, this game is incredible, but it could use some relatively minor improvements in said areas" instead, they'll say "this game fails to be great because of minor problems in said areas"

I mean, really, is GT5 not the best handling racer ever?
Is GT5 not the best sounding and most robust racer in content ever?
Is GT5 not one of the best looking racers ever with a few minor blemishes?

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Very nice review 🙂

I don't think that the 1000 cars is really any big hoopla. Sure the premiums are the ones to get but really...it's like mixing ground chuck with fillet mignon and expecting it to taste good.

Loved the review, not the rating. Great title but the road to get there was ridiculous.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Not really since you *don't* have to mix the two. You can play the game using premium cars exclusively if you want to.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Nice review Arnold. I agree with it pretty much across the board. I'd personally scored the game a little lower (PS3 User Reviews), but I've been playing more since then and that score is going up as I get deeper into the game.

That Top Gear Sambabus event is not too bad once you start learning which corners you can cut and which you can't, you can make up a tone of places on the final straight under braking.

The really big test at the Top Gear track is the second event with the Lotus. OMG that is incredibly frustrating. Don't touch any solid colored cone, and be careful to do no more than brush an opponent or you'll be disqualified, and I have yet to figure out how you can get better than the bronze, drafting doesn't appear very effective with the Lotus... Annoyingly I was on course for the bronze last night when some git in a Lotus decided that a PIT maneuver would be great....

I do take exception to the comments about using a controller. I've tried the wheels, but haven't been able to find a way to mount the wheel securely enough to a surface to prevent it being ripped into the air during play, so I stick to the analog controller.

With regard to the nannies; traction control and ABS are available in real road cars, so I use them on low settings, but the automatic stability and steering, and the other nannies must be turned off because if you do not you are robbing yourself and your car of performance. I tested out the impact of the Auto Stability control and found I could gain several seconds a lap at the Top gear track (for example) by turning it off. If anyone is having trouble with lap times and still has this turned on (it's on by default), turn it off, and leave it off.

Last edited by TheHighlander on 11/28/2010 423 PM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Actually I cant have any fun with that stability controller is on ,by then the game will be less challenging , along with the ABS system that really let you lose some precious time as the ABS is less powerful than normal dick brakes.
For most drivers, ABS brakes work best. They reduce the chance of skidding during braking. However, some performance drivers may actually prefer to skid. If this is you, ABS may not fit your needs.

Last edited by ABUrabad on 11/28/2010 443 PM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Got the gold on the Top Gear Lotus Challenge, and the trick is inside cornering. You can bump side to side mildly as well. At the "Follow Through", take that sector as close to the extremes as you can.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I finally got the bronze in the Lotus event at the Top Gear track, and frankly I don't have the desire to go through more frustration to get silver or gold.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Got gold on the lotus challenge as well. As max said inside cornering is the key. You have to realize that car is rear wheel drive with insanse hp. you gotta feather that throttle through the corners, you gotta brake hard going in and feather through, and hammer on the gas to straighten that car out coming out of the turns. If your spinning out on the second turn your going in way to hot. back off to about 80% on that turn. Since the line is their to help you, I was off the gas way before it turned red, and was braking about that time, and had much success on that turn!

Good luck it was definitely a beast of a challenge!

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

If you average it, MGS and GT got the exact same score. The difference is the final score...which I think represents how the whole game comes together.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 15
Share: