Fallout: New Vegas ...

Notifications
Clear all

Fallout: New Vegas Review

Page 4 / 6
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Decent review for a game I'm eventually going to buy. I plan on getting it around Dec. I went ahead and "downloaded" it to check it out before they fix all the bugs and it's still an enjoyable experience but it definitely feels like a Fallout3.5

I really don't get why developers feel it's okay to release a game that CLEARLY isn't past the beta stage (FFXIV) and now this game.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2010 12:00 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Why all the hate? If you like Fallout 3, you'll probably like this.

Sure it's overpriced, but it's still fun.

An 8 in my opinion.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Why all the hate? If you like Fallout 3, you'll probably like this.

Sure it's overpriced, but it's still fun.

An 8 in my opinion.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

The game froze on me twice already for no reason, also using VATS mode got me stuck inside of a rock (and the same thing keeps happening to the enemy). Hardcore mode seems like a really cool idea, so far the only problem seems to be lack water, but at least the game does tell you when you need sleep, food, water. If you break a limb in hardcore mode you need to find a medic to fix it for you and also you can only heal over time, not right away. Like Geobaldi said, if you dont try to be like rambo you'll be fine.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I don't necessarily agree with the total review score, or with a few of the problems your talking about. I've been playing this game since launch, i'm a bit of a fallout fan, but i could swear that I'm not having the problems you people are talking about. missing textures, jumping graffics, freezing, shots not hitting the mark (the bullets DO drop by the way, noticed that with the varmint rifle with a little distance on it. Beef up your gun skills, the algorythm for hit detection isn't just point and shoot. You need to factor in your gun skill, weapon condition and your distance... (notice the sway in your rifle? minute sway kills accuracy man, even while crouching, just like in real life).

I did have it freeze up on me 1 time, but it was my fault for not pausing to jump into the XMB and start writing a note, only to be attacked by a deathclaw and die while trying to get back into the game, freezing it.

Sure a lot of the stuff is reused from Fallout 3, clothes, weapons, character models, however this is surely not an expansion, Hardcore mode is a perfect example of this, along with the factions and affinity for such (both of which were strangely left out of your review). Not to mention the ability to live off the land (goodbye stimpack abuse).

At least the enemies are smarter, (climbing up a rock wont save you this time), not to mention a plethora of new types make traveling the waste MUCH more interesting than in F3. Nightcrawlers, massive stun inducing mosquitoes, big horners are just a few of the new beast types. I've also noticed enemies wont simply 'stick around' like they used to when you popped a round from a hidden spot, they'll run away much faster than before. One particular example I had was trying to get past a deathclaw infested pass, tagging one with an armor piercing round, only to have it alert not only the one i hit, but the hole pack around him, all of which quickly retreated back into the mountains until the shooting stopped. Thinking it was safe, i tried to hoof it past, only to be unpleasantly suprised when they peaked back out and gave chase!

There IS a lot to do in New Vegas, almost too much, i often find myself in the middle of a quest, only to get info on a new quest midway through some character dialogue with someone I may need to kill. Recently I've noticed myself stopping just to maximize my earnings, rather than just do the work and get through the story, and that might be a good thing to some, but might tick off another.

However I do have a few qualms, The voucher problem is one of the big glaring issues... The blackjack tables seem to be a little unfair (but this is Vegas we're talking about). I do recall being up 1000 chips, betting 4 hands at 250 chips a piece and busting out with 12, loosing with 20 and getting out held (house drew 5 cards on my 21). Didn't make me feel like gambling after loosing about 500 caps in a 'game', but it did make me feel just like a few of the vagabonds that were unfortunate enough to make it to New Vegas only to leave with the shirts on their back. You could argue this is immersion, and for sure i felt immersed, (right until i killed the dealer and then reloaded the game prior to cashing in) but those who play for perfection or on hard might want to beef up their luck stat.

A big problem i've noticed however is that my perception is really high, so high that most of the time, i find myself chasing 'shadows' on my compass only to have the golden human icon suddenly shift to aggressive red the closer get to seeing them. Oftentimes I'll see enemies quite literally a mile away on my compass, but when i try to look for them on screen, they don't show up until they are just a little closer than I would have liked. Try sneaking to New Vegas past the Quarry North of Sloan and see what I'm talking about!

Last edited by Remei Aoki on 10/23/2010 752 AM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

this is a real shame.
my die hard fallout fan mate will pay, but i'll wait. but i still bloody well want it.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Sounds like a bargain bin purchase. Fallout 3 was pretty fun, but I can't imagine spending more than $20 on an alpha build of a game. And considering it's really more of a stand-alone expansion...

One of my favorite things about Fallout 3 was the voice acting, but it's dull and flat here? Jeez. I dunno, these people have good ideas but lack the ambition to realize them in anything but the most rinky dink manner.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

An expansion? An expansion with more quests (quests that are actually fleshed out). An expansion with writing that isn't absolutely horrendous and nonsensical. An expansion with more than five voice actors Bethesda found outside, after having spent millions of dollars to get Liam Nelson for five seconds of dialogue. An expansion with a well thought out and coherent world. An expansion whose storyline isn't fraught with plot holes left and right. An expansion with refined gameplay (hard not to improve on the crap that is Bethesda's implementation of Gamebryo). If that's what defines an expansion, well I say, we need more of them.

Quite honestly Arnold, you think Fallout 3 is a good game and for that I feel your opinions are invalid when it comes to Fallout.

P.S. I don't know what the hell your going on about with the voice actors sounding "dull and flat", you couldn't be more off base.

P.P.S.
" I'd reckon Oblivion, also a Bethesda title, would be better suited since it is not only cheaper, but has held up better with time, and is a bit more polished despite being years older. " Do you mean to imply that it was Bethesda who made this game and not Obsidian? How clueless are you?

Last edited by Proxy on 10/23/2010 1135 AM

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

New Vegas was designed and produced by Bethesda, and developed by Obsidian. But on top of that, Obsidian was handed a game engine that was already completed by Bethesda years ago with Fallout 3, and what they had to do was reskin it to fit the mold of a new game, all the while keeping nearly everything from the last game intact. Obsidian didn't exactly have their work cut out for them. So how clueless are you to imply that this is an Obsidian directed product, rather than Bethesda's?

So yes, Bethesda made New Vegas. Because they own the Fallout franchise. And they laid down all of the groundwork for Obsidian to wrap up. It's that simple. If you want a pure-bred Obsidian product, you look at Alpha Protocol, which despite being published by Sega, was the brain child of the developer, unlike New Vegas.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Reviewers love to call this game a "follow up" or "expansion" to this game, this guy even does it in his second sentence, but his game ISN'T a Fing follow up or a Fing expansion, THIS is what Fallout 3 should have been. Bethesda bought the name and figured they could cash in by using the name of some great older games that already have an established fan base. THIS game is more of a spiritual successor to Fallout 2 than Fallout 3 will ever be and people need to acknowledge that, but rarely do.

Hundreds of games use the same engine their predicessor uses, but that doesn't mean they are expansions of any sort. Fallout New Vegas uses the Gamebryo engine, that same engine has been used in over 200 games starting w/ Dark Age of Camelot, buy using the whole "hur dur that uses the same engine as that other game" argument that means DAoC has hundreds of expansions/sequals, which is just a stupid claim...

Fallout New Vegas is an awesome game all on it's own, baring the few hick-ups that I have experienced in the game (which seems VERY common now a days thanks to consoles having internet connection, but that's a whole nother gripe of mine) I have been having loads of fun w/ the game and am looking forward to Obsidian fixing the few problems I have encountered.

Oh, as for the whole "it should be cheaper because it uses the same engine", well a lot of games reuse older engines, just look at all those games that use Gamebryo or Unreal engines... Just because a game reuses an older engine (if every game created a new engine games would take years and years to come out and we wouldn't see a new Mario, or new Halo, or new CoD every year)doesn't mean the games should be any cheaper.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

You completely disregarded every point that was made. Nowhere did I say it should be cheaper because it uses the game engine. Did you miss the fact that this game suffers from the same technical problems that Fallout 3 suffered from? All these years later and they couldn't polish the game up? Two minute loading times? Freezing? Framerate drops? They couldn't add or expand the gameplay mechanics? Look, it's a solid game. But it's stuck in 2008, and we've already managed to come a long way since then.

And what are you talking about it being normal for games to have hiccups because they have internet connections? What does the internet have anything to do with...anything? This isn't an MMORPG.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

He probably meant that because of net access it's so much easier to release fixes than back in the old days without the net.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I'm playing now, besides the slow start its all looking good. The aliasing and very tiny skips now and then are still there, but they were in in F3 anyway so whatever. The engine is a bit better in some places. I've never had more than a very brief loading time. Maybe the review copy was junk.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Again, for people complaining about the review score, go yell at GameSpot first. They scored it even lower (7.5), and it's only averaging a 8.1 or 8.2 depending on the source you use.

Obviously, something is amiss in comparison to Fallout 3, where the scores are substantially higher.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Thanks alot for this comment, finally some views about the content of the game. I am especially pleased to see that there are lots of side quests, that was what made fallout3 to me, those weird little stories to discover everywhere!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/10/2010 12:00 am
Page 4 / 6
Share: