Clear all

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Review

46 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
WorldEndsWithMe
 WorldEndsWithMe
(@WorldEndsWithMe)

I plays teh demo. I know Saint agrees with me. Though he's no Saint. Lemme clarify on the controls, they aren't busted or anything, the button mapping is something I couldn't get used to at all.

Last edited by WorldEndsWithMe on 10/4/2010 10:19:00 PM

Posted : 04/10/2010 12:00 am
Ben Dutka PSXE
 Ben Dutka PSXE
(@Ben Dutka PSXE)

Oh, I see. Well, they took some getting used to for me, too. But once I got them down, they seemed to flow really well.

Alienange
 Alienange
(@Alienange)

I'm surprised by your review. I really wasn't expecting anything great but I'm glad they've put together a quality Lara adventure. DLC type games aren't my thing though... unless it's Monkey Island.

Temjin001
 Temjin001
(@Temjin001)

I've always liked Lara, but it's too bad that the majority of her games haven't been too great. This has been made even more apparent with the Uncharted games that encroach on her turf with the ancient civilization treasure finding similarities.

I tried this demo what seems like a month ago, or so. And as the reviews have confirmed, the game is well put together and more polished than Lara's previous outings.

But similarly to the feelings of some on these boards, the iso-metric, classic-style perspective is something of a turn off.

Basically, I think the isometric fixed view point disconnects the player from the role of experiencing the adventure through the perspective of what Lara sees ( or nearly sees as her games have been TPS) to a more "game-like" or "arcade-like" presentation that interferes with my ability to more acutely sense the exploring element--something I've always felt is so attractive about the nature of these types of games.

Anyhow, maybe when I'm low on good games to play and I'm in the mood for something akin to this, I may give it a play through.

Ben Dutka PSXE
 Ben Dutka PSXE
(@Ben Dutka PSXE)

You mean they took the Lara out of Lara. 😉

And I understand that. This game could almost have anyone as the hero or heroine, and it wouldn't really affect much. There is a bit of her patented cockiness but for the most part, she's more faceless than ever.

It's certainly not character-driven. But it's really great for what it is.

WorldEndsWithMe
 WorldEndsWithMe
(@WorldEndsWithMe)

Lara Croft plus SmashTV does not a great game make. However, I suppose I should bear in mind the pricetag is low.

Temjin001
 Temjin001
(@Temjin001)

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
=p

Jawknee
 Jawknee
(@Jawknee)

It's Highlanders job to quote 80's sci-fi movies. 😉

tes37
 tes37
(@tes37)

I played the demo and decided to buy the game. The controls are different but I got use to them. I think playing Trine as the theif kind of prepared me for using the right stick to aim. I do like the way it's used in Trine better.

Jawknee
 Jawknee
(@Jawknee)

The aiming sounds like the My Blaster Runs Hot mini game in R&C ACIT.

tes37
 tes37
(@tes37)

It's been too long since I played that mini game, so I can't remember exactly what it was like.

Jawknee
 Jawknee
(@Jawknee)

Top down shooter, you aimed and fired with the sticks. That's basically it. ha

Last edited by Jawknee on 10/4/2010 11:02:29 PM

tes37
 tes37
(@tes37)

You just aim with the right stick, the fire button is separate. Trine is different as well. Playing as the thief you pull back on the right stick and release to fire an arrow. The tension on the bow is determined by how far you pull back.

What I wrote about aiming with the right stick in Trine in my first post is incorrect. It's hard to keep up with all the different control schemes.

Last edited by tes37 on 10/4/2010 11:16:47 PM

Qubex
 Qubex
(@Qubex)

Fair enough... I hear you World. Having the camera "immersed" in the Croft world may have been more atmospheric, but the camera POV at times was quite bad.

Try killing those dogs that attack you right at the beginning of Croft 1 and man did I suffer. I felt spastic trying to kill those animals, they were jumping on me from all sides...

I think this camera view may give you a better chance all around, but I guess, in some ways, it is pretty different to the original Croft games that it is almost like a different game entirely.

Q!

"play.experience.enjoy"

Posted : 05/10/2010 12:00 am
WorldEndsWithMe
 WorldEndsWithMe
(@WorldEndsWithMe)

I'm thinkin they could resolve the camera issue on the ol PS3. I'd still like to see the Video Game worlds first real sex symbol get a proper reboot, but maybe the franchise is toast. Hey I'll even take a multiplat attempt at an Uncharted 2 wannabe, as long as it does SOMEthing sweet and exciting. And you have to put the sex moans back in when she hits a wall 😉

Posted : 05/10/2010 12:00 am
Page 2 / 4
Share: