WorldEndsWithMe
 WorldEndsWithMe
(@WorldEndsWithMe)

I love "controller-movies"

Posted : 03/10/2010 12:00 am
Qubex
 Qubex
(@Qubex)

World, have to agree with that, I thought Ben would have scored it a little lower. But I get what Ben is saying about taking an artistic view on the game as a whole.

I did watch some of the video reviews... they always seem to use the 360 version. The game seems ok, but I can't help comparing it to Heavenly Sword. The presentation in general is good from what can be seen, but still would have preferred another Heavenly Sword rendition.

Anyway, I am a technical whore, so I was interested in the Digital Foundry strip down and, like so many multi-platform games, the PS3 comes short unfortunately. Incredible un-going frustration...

I won't be picking up the title, there are others that I am keeping my money for...

Q!

"play.experience.enjoy"

Last edited by Qubex on 10/3/2010 8:41:26 AM

Temjin001
 Temjin001
(@Temjin001)

Qubex, yeah, I love DF, too. There's also the Lens of Truth guys. While they're not as in-depth as DF, their process of overlaying PS3 and 360 images for comparison is very cool. Sometimes they point out things that DF may miss. Like the self shadowing in Enslaved is better on 360. PS3 has this lower quality method (think Dead Space for PS3) where 360's is smoother.

I do think the PS3 version comes out a tad clearer in fine texture detail. Check out monkey man's whisker stubble.. you'll notice on the PS3 you can make out each whisker a bit better.

Ben Dutka PSXE
 Ben Dutka PSXE
(@Ben Dutka PSXE)

I'm sorry guys, but if I get hung up on those minute, ridiculously anal details, I'd never have any fun playing any video game.

There is such a thing as over-analysis and in all honesty, I find such sites to be utterly worthless. "Oh, I didn't see a shadow"......holy sh**, how boring must your life be where that actually matters?

It's just one of my pet peeves, that's all. This is about fun. Let's not do everything we can to kill that.

johnld
 johnld
(@johnld)

@ben
I meant the type of games like god of war was, action/adventure type of games, at least during the ps2 days. something about the light/heavy button combos kinda puts them in the same genre for me.

@world
I didnt mean that i didnt like god of war. i actually like it, just not how some people are way into it. My gaming preferences kinda changed from ps2 to ps3. with my ps2 i prefered fighting, racing, and rpg type games. i only had about 2 shooters which was killzone and FF7 dirge of cerberus. i used to buy games where i can enjoy with people in the same room, hence the fighting games. looking at my ps2 collection i had DOA2, dragonball z games, soul calibur 3, and of course marvel vs capcom 2.

Its basically the complete opposite from right now. i rarely buy fighting, racing, and from the looks of it rpgs. Now i have a bunch of different genre of games. now i mostly have shooters, action/adventures, and others. right now i'm trying to balance my time with MAG, Bad Company 2, Killzone 2, uncharted 2, demons souls, and sports champions.

by the way, i started to play MAG again after 2.0. it seems like the visual aspects of the game has improved and the game seems to play much faster too.

Ben667
 Ben667
(@Ben667)

Elephant in the room... is the 360 version more technically proficient?

Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

According to IGN's Arthur Gies, the same issues Ben mentioned occur in the 360 version but aren't as common. However, they don't really affect the game much.

aaronisbla
 aaronisbla
(@aaronisbla)

ok, i may have to check it out during christmas

frylock25
 frylock25
(@frylock25)

i look forward to checking this game out. the problem comes up is that i may only be able to buy 1 maybe 2 more games by the end of the year, if that. so while id love to play this i might have to wait for the money. i think i will wait for a price drop as most games are usually $40 within a few months. some of these tech issues might bother me if i pay full price at launch for it.

Ben, what is there to replay it for? not to be rude or whatnot but is there any other reason to replay it besides liking it? you noted the replay pretty high.

Last edited by frylock25 on 10/3/2010 2:26:19 AM

ABUrabad
 ABUrabad
(@ABUrabad)

its such a game that ill buy for sure but still it have to wait a little bit more since there are couple of exclusive games i will not be able to keep my self away from like GT5 which im sure it will need more than 100 hours at offline campaign without mentioning the online part
i think i may buy this game as a second hand

cant wait to get this, from the reviews im reading the combat is not very good, its the art style and characters which draws you in.
thats exactly what i expected, NT may not do combat perfectly, its not shabby but its far from perfect.
its character design, and story which is really what sucks you in and keeps you interested from the get go.
no one does character development better than NT!

Vivi_Gamer
 Vivi_Gamer
(@Vivi_Gamer)

Great review, I'm still interested in getting Enslaved day 1. Sure the combat is simple, but then i'm not getting this game for the combat. I want sense of an adventure, it seems to have more platforming elements than combat. You would have thought they'd polished off a few of those hitches though i'm not put off in the slightest.

Mamills
 Mamills
(@Mamills)

yea, ill wait till i can get it cheap.
not paying $60 for a game i can beat in 10-15 hrs and no replay value

Siege
 Siege
(@Siege)

Thanks for the review, Ben! I look forward to picking Enslaved up later this year!

Ergi
 Ergi
(@Ergi)

Interesting, great review. Personally, I was quite impressed by the beauty of the demo and I'm a big fan of the artistic approach that ninja theory has. I was however dissapointed with the combat in the demo and expected it to become repetitive, so I'm gonna have to wait for a price drop.

For me it's a bit harder to look past repetitive combat than past small technical issues.

Definitely seems like a game i'll enjoy though and I like the bit of strategy implemented in combat (sure am glad I found out about it, leave it to PSXe), maybe there's room for more strategy in the future for these types of games.

Page 2 / 3
Share: