Clear all

Sonic Adventure Review

53 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
WorldEndsWithMe
 WorldEndsWithMe
(@WorldEndsWithMe)

Well I hung onto my DC cuz it is a great arcade-at-home machine and I've got two copies of Sonic so I won't be buying this on PSN. I can sympathize a lot with this review, the game just doesn't withstand the test of time but I still like it. Mario 64 was by far the better 3D transition, and Sonic 2 is still the best Sonic of all time, but I maintaint Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 are at least the best 3D Sonics.

Now, Skies of Arcadia I can get into fo sho. BUT, I don't think Shenmue can stand up either. At the time it was a great leap forward in immersion, and was a kind of precursor to some great games like Indigo Prophecy but playing it now is cringe-worthy. There are lots of voice overs and they are all bad, the controls are super clunky, and everything is generally slow which won't play well in a twitchy generation. I think it will show up though. I'd like to see a Shenmue 3 personally.

Posted : 23/09/2010 12:00 am
Temjin001
 Temjin001
(@Temjin001)

Yes, the DC was very much the bridge between arcade and home gaming entertainment. For the first time gamers saw games that looked better than most of the games at the arcades during that time (Soul Calibur was one). For so many years it was the other way around with arcades always having the edge.

LimitedVertigo
 LimitedVertigo
(@LimitedVertigo)

When I plugged in my DC to the internet via the 56k modem I thought I was the coolest kid on the block. I agree with you on Sonic Adventure, it's the best 3D Sonic but unfortunately that isn't saying much.

Temjin001
 Temjin001
(@Temjin001)

Yeah, I'm sorry, but Sega just sucks. They do. They had so many awesome properties go down the tubes because of major quality control problems. Why couldn't they have Nintendo's quality assurance?

While I'm not really into most things Nintendo, most of their games I've played are usually very well made. With Sega, it's a shot in the dark. Can't they at least get performance issues under control with so many of their games?

I'm upset with them because I liked their image and audience a lot back in the day, now they're pitiful with most everything they touch.

Last edited by Temjin001 on 9/23/2010 10:25:50 PM

sawao_yamanaka
 sawao_yamanaka
(@sawao_yamanaka)

That is so true temjin. I remember playing both sonic adventure and mario 64 when I was younger. The camera problems on sonic adventure were horrid. Never had problems like that on mario. I remember if you got stuck behind a wall they would do this sort of shadow image of you so you knew where you were at, sonic adventure just well you get the picture.

LimitedVertigo
 LimitedVertigo
(@LimitedVertigo)

Sega was a one hit wonder. The Genesis IMO offered me the greatest gaming of my jr high(middle school) life. Then they go and launch the 32x and the Saturn which are piss poor hardware and the trend continues via software. Hell the Saturn version of Tomb Raider is almost unplayable.

Temjin001
 Temjin001
(@Temjin001)

One of the greatest gaming experiences in my life was with Phantasy Star Online. I simply never played a game like it. I stayed up many, late, late nights on that one.

BikerSaint
 BikerSaint
(@BikerSaint)

MY my, how my Sonic has withered away from age these days.

He must be something like 89 & 1/2 now in human years since his early Genesis childhood.

hadouken
 hadouken
(@hadouken)

Sonic, I hope one day you at least get one more decent run. You're part of everybody's child hood.

Hezzron
 Hezzron
(@Hezzron)

Is Sonic still alive?! I could swear I was at his funeral.

LimitedVertigo
 LimitedVertigo
(@LimitedVertigo)

No, no that was Duke Nukem. But it turns out the casket was empty.

Underdog15
 Underdog15
(@Underdog15)

It's true what LV said. DC was a fad that didn't last any longer than it took to make copies of every game on the market. I missed out on it completely, in fact. (Until a friend brought one to university in third year!)

Posted : 24/09/2010 12:00 am
LimitedVertigo
 LimitedVertigo
(@LimitedVertigo)

Oh and I like the new pic Scarecrow. Gotta admit I didn't realize it was you at first, I generally look at the pictures to tell who is who (maybe it's a bad habit).

Akuma_
 Akuma_
(@Akuma_)

The problem is, this review doesn't do Sonic Adventure justice.

It was reviewed based on current standards.

SA is one of the best sonic games there is.

Ben Dutka PSXE
 Ben Dutka PSXE
(@Ben Dutka PSXE)

It has to be based on the competition on the PSN; on what consumers have the option to buy from the same location. Some games stand up well over time, as I mentioned in the intro. Others don't.

Page 2 / 4
Share: