Clear all

Trinity Universe Review

23 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
TheHighlander
 TheHighlander
(@TheHighlander)

So, Trinity Universe is essentially the same as Cross Edge only instead of sprite graphics it's a 3D presentation now?

Not sure I can slog through another one of these right now. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Cross Edge, it's just that it's not the kind of game I can be bothered t play straight through because the story just isn't there to grab you. So in the end it's more of a pick up - put down toy that I play for an hour or two when I have the urge.

Trinity Universe sounds very much like that.

Posted : 11/07/2010 12:00 am
Ben Dutka PSXE
 Ben Dutka PSXE
(@Ben Dutka PSXE)

Sort of. If you already did Cross Edge and you're not into doing something similar, I wouldn't recommend it.

TheHighlander
 TheHighlander
(@TheHighlander)

Hmmm.... I liked Cross Edge OK, it's just not the kind of game I can play right through - unless I am totally in that mood. If I get tired of playing with cross Edge, I may give Trinity Universe a look. I wasn't really expecting anything more than that from this game, but with the little time I have for games right now, I have to have more than Trinity Universe offers. A decent story would be a good start, but that's not what this game is about, so....

kraygen
 kraygen
(@kraygen)

I guess I've never played an rpg like this, it doesn't sound like anyway. Not sure that I would get into a silly nonsensical story like that. One thing I like about most of the turn based rpgs I like to play is the deep engaging story.

Some humor along with the drama going on is great, it's how life is, but this sounds more corny and just non stop silliness which I'm not sure I'd be into.

I was really interested in this tho, so maybe I'll just wait till its cheap and then try it out to see how I like it.

DeathOfChaos
 DeathOfChaos
(@DeathOfChaos)

People wonder why the Japanese developers are catering towards the western audience.
They come out with a turn based RPG, something people have been WANTING and complaining to have, and then people complain about getting it. This is exactly why Wada is the way he is and why FFXIII turned out the way it did: Americans complain about what they want AND what they don't want..

shadowscorpio
 shadowscorpio
(@shadowscorpio)

Well you know different developers 'develope' different style games. Square used to hit all the avenues when it came to JRPGs. They used to do it very well. These days no one knows what to expect from them anymore but it seems like dissapointment is becoming a reoccuring trend pertaining to SE.

Sancho
 Sancho
(@Sancho)

So am I the only one that noticed during the trailer in the long list of names they changed the Galaxy Beauty Pirate to "Flat Chested" Pirate?

Last edited by Sancho on 7/11/2010 4:41:56 PM

mastiffchild
 mastiffchild
(@mastiffchild)

I've got a TINY bit of sympathy for the Wada's of this world(I do mean tiny though!)because SE are a pretty massive concern and they see WRPGs just coming into their own in sales terms this generation(Mass Effect and Bethesda''s games)and they're wondering if the JRPG can be as massive n the west these days.

IDK why they think it but I guess they did research but they feel that we westerners don't generally take to turn based combat these days. they want a bigger audience more than anything and feel that doing trad turn based is only appealing to the niche over here.

They may be right, IDK, but I would love to see something a bit more involved myself, if I'm really honest, that just turn based in JRPGland but they NEED to strike a balance, not take all control from us(give us more!)and not make the battles simple, near hack and slash affairs when adding a little action.

Thing is those who are loudest are those upset with the likes of SE over their favourite games no longer being the kind they're getting but as THAT is the niche market in the minds of SE who want FO3 levels of praise and success every single game you can see how they might still ignore the fans that saw them through some pretty lean times, crappy attitude and a bunch of what amount to lies!

Another fact is that unless your game is part of a grand series like DQ or a remake like CT your game will like as not get panned for being a strictly turn based affair in most places.

So, imho, it's a bit of a mess right now and nobody is sure where this will go. my money would be on them eventually finding a middle ground that works or that we'll get used to as they will keep chasing the bigger sales in the west regardless of what the long term fans say.

There will al;ays BE games like this which possibly stick too rigidly to fan service and staid combat and other JRPG mainstays of yore but I don't see a big budget series that isn't already guaranteed to be turn based staying that way.

If, however, Wada thinks that westerners don't like this kind of thing simply because ME2 sold ok(hardly FF numbers though so, you know, it's a bit much sometimes)then you really have to wonder. Maybe if Versus stays exclusive(who knows?)we may see the mooted KH action based gameplay added to to give more strategy to those who want it and a compromise may arise from that but otherwise I see little hope of FF going back to proper turn based ,myself-not under the current regime who seem all to happy to annoy their most loyal fans. I see both sides of this one and honestly think that each should just give a little if we ever want to see SE hit the kind of form that the pre merger days saw.

Posted : 12/07/2010 12:00 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: