Namco Bandai
Developer:
Volatile Games
Number Of Players:
Genre:
Action
Release Date:
April 27, 2010

I guess I need to always remind myself that no matter how far into a generation we get mediocrity will continue to live on. What am I getting at? Well, as you can already guess, I'm calling Dead to Rights Retribution a mediocre game, and that's simply the truth. When the first game came out years ago, it was received fairly well and it signaled the start of a new and potentially important franchise for Namco. Instead of capitalizing on that and improving upon the original formula, the franchise instead went downhill. And that's a shame, because DTR had the capacity to be the next Max Payne, all it needed was some grit and more polish from the developers. So when Retribution was announced for the PS3 and Xbox 360, naturally I assumed that since we're so far into this generation, developing a solid action title shouldn't be too difficult. I was wrong.

You start off DTR Retribution and you immediately notice how awful the visuals are, and that's never a good sign. Now, the graphics don't make gameplay, but they do indicate a level of quality that may be found within the rest of the game, and in this case, that level of quality is poor. The story kicks off with Jack Slate critically wounded and his K9 buddy Shadow right by his side, aiding him by killing any enemy that gets nearby. So you actually take control of Shadow first, and as soon as you complete the mission, the game rewinds time to show the events that led up to Jack being in such a state. A giant corporate building is taken hostage by a faction of men, and Jack Slate, against his superior's word decides he's going to infiltrate and put an end to it all, before more innocent civilians are killed. It's a little bit Die Hard-ish, as you can see.

The story isn't at all my gripe with this game, though, it rarely is in action titles. My problem are the terrible game mechanics, which are clunky and dated. First, the game controls very poorly; there is no feeling of weight to Jack, his actions are generic, and simply has little to offer as an action character. The hand-to-hand action is bland, dull, and utterly repetitive, and the gunplay is a major step backwards when compared to a plethora of other games in the genre. Why Namco-Bandai even approved the release of the game is beyond me. Now, granted, I've played worse games recently, but it's just that I'm disappointed that a big-name publisher such as Namco would release something like this. I was also looking forward to a solid action shooter, on top of that.

But that's not where things end, no. You see, the camera couldn't possibly be any more vomit inducing, as the amount of bobbing around it does is so excessive that I got motion sickness literally after holding down the run button three times. Why do developers insist on such poor design choices? Nobody likes the extremely maniacal camera shaking, so someone needs to put an end to it. Then, you discover more issues when you take control of Shadow. For example, he feels completely out of place, his actions are as generic as Jack's, and his stealthy attributes could've been put to better use. There will be a number of stages in the game where you control Shadow and your priority will be to remain undetected, but I contest that those stages could've been done better, even if they are the highlight of the game. And with no multiplayer of any sort to offer, Dead to Rights Retribution simply doesn't have much going for it.

So I've already told you how lousy the visuals are for Dead to Rights, but I guess it's still my job to tell you just how lousy they are. They're pretty lousy. What? I have to write more? Well, alright. You'll first notice the generic textures, which are about as uninspired as uninspired can be. Everything just reeks of boredom, flatness, and absolutely no attention to detail. Heck, generic isn't even the word I'd use to describe the texture detail, since that'd be an insult to the average looking games out there. DTR Retribution simply doesn't even try to look good. You'll see these generic textures virtually everywhere you look, and the game never once exhibits even a glimmer of decent aesthetics. The animation is both stiff and might as well be non-existent, it's so plain and mediocre that it's wonder what took so long to release the game. But it's not like great visuals would've saved this from being a sub-par game, though. Either way, to continue, the character detail is sorely lacking, and Shadow's detail is downright comical. Shadow often looks like he's floating above the ground, so not only does he not control as if he's planted to the floor, but he also looks like he isn't planted.

The voice acting matches the rest of the game, it's just hard to listen to sometimes. The cut-scenes are never exciting, and the dialogue is poorly written, though to the game's credit, I'm sure some of that poor writing is intentional for the B-movie cheese effect. Gunshot sounds are dull and you don't feel as if you're wielding something powerful in your hands, or rather your controller, unlike many other action titles. Sound effects are plain, the background screams of your enemies are repetitive, and the overall audio experience is crippled.

I don't think I need to put this game down any further than I already have. Simply put, this just isn't worth your money. This would've been an acceptable game back on the PlayStation and maybe even early PlayStation 2 days, but the level of shallowness in game mechanics, the poor visuals, the boring story, the lousy audio, and the awful controls make it totally unacceptable for this generation. Namco-Bandai can do better, because they have done better before.

Subscribe
Notify of
10 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
WorldEndsWithMe
WorldEndsWithMe
13 years ago

Ouch, I knew this game would blow, bad time to post up a review though.

Last edited by WorldEndsWithMe on 5/17/2010 10:43:43 PM

Milonakis
Milonakis
13 years ago

They should have called it, Dead to Rights: ShitStorm.

kraygen
kraygen
13 years ago

Exactly what I expected, watched one video and just knew this game would be the epitome of insult to the ps3 platform. At least I'm not surprised and didn't throw $60 in the trash.

Alienange
Alienange
13 years ago

*Shoots bobbing camera with a six shooter*

Nope. It just won't die…

Scarecrow
Scarecrow
13 years ago

I still have the first Dead to Rights for ps2

The DVD's all scratched up and has some food stains lol…

OtisFeelgood
OtisFeelgood
13 years ago

4.9? Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

BikerSaint
BikerSaint
13 years ago

Damn, how totally disappointing this news is.

After playing the first one, I was hoping they would have upped the ante on their 2nd game.

I was soooo looking forward to having a good killer canine partner.

rogers71
rogers71
13 years ago

I am with you Biker. I loved the first one and had held out some hope that this one would be better than some of the first videos they released.

Arnold layed it out for me. I will not even glance in the direction of this game. 4.9!!!! I think that is one of the lowest scores I have seen for a game that I was looking forward to. Good Grief!!!!

BikerSaint
BikerSaint
13 years ago

Rogers71,

Yeah, I've even seen a score as low as 3.9 for some game somewhere else, but I'll still get this one eventually, just when it's in the under $10 used bargain bin.

And that way at least, I can truly say that I'm the only person on Earth that has a floating killing canine,
Maybe I can even enter him as a float in the Annual Macy's Parade too. LMAO

hadouken
hadouken
13 years ago

Man I though this could be decent but I still might pick it up at 20 or 10 dollars. I guess not every game is as great as uncharted lol.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x