Notifications
Clear all

Yakuza 3 Review

32 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes

yeah i know its a extension of the story, all they had to do was put a marker on the map showing me where i needed to go and i would of loved this game.
its really annoying and frustrating when great games like this are let down by such stupid lazy things.
like having to read all the text in the game was not bad enough!
normally im not one to complain about that, but jesus christ this game has longer dialogue than MGS4 at times.
reading a discussion between kazuma and diako for example is like reading a freaking harry potter novel!

Posted : 11/04/2010 12:00 am
WolfCrimson
 WolfCrimson
(@WolfCrimson)

Just want to point out one thing: Didn't Yakuza 3, like, was released over a year ago in Japan? So Graphics aren't gonna be that good.

Anyway, I'm glad you reviewed it, Ben. It's an amazing game.

Last edited by WolfCrimson on 4/11/2010 2:49:45 AM

kraygen
 kraygen
(@kraygen)

got that right, but even tho its a year old, graphics are still pretty bad for ps3. Like a good ps2 game.

Doesn't make that big a diff to me, gameplay over graphics any day.

Ben Dutka PSXE
 Ben Dutka PSXE
(@Ben Dutka PSXE)

Yes, it's a year old, but even then, I have to compare it to games like Killzone 2, so...

piratedrunk
 piratedrunk
(@piratedrunk)

I was a bit underwhelmed by the demo but it sounds like most of my concerns have been addressed in the review. Looks like whenever I catch up with my backlog I will pick this one up.

Alienange
 Alienange
(@Alienange)

As much as I just LOVE a ton of reading in my games, I think I'll pass on this one.

Rings0fUranus
 Rings0fUranus
(@Rings0fUranus)

lol, you sir have a rapist wit! err, rapier...

Ben Dutka PSXE
 Ben Dutka PSXE
(@Ben Dutka PSXE)

Where'd you get the idea there's a lot of reading? Subtitles? The cut-scenes aren't THAT long.

Minishmaru
 Minishmaru
(@Minishmaru)

The graphics might be "dated" but everything else in the game makes up for it. The game has sooo much to do its ridiculous. I can't stop playing the game and I hope hope HOOOOPE that the 4th comes here do to the response your review has gotten from us readers

hadouken
 hadouken
(@hadouken)

Good review. I'm glad somebody is showing this game some love, I'm a little suprised by the 8.4 but in a good way. Yakuza is a the most underrated series out there!

Rings0fUranus
 Rings0fUranus
(@Rings0fUranus)

i own this game, but haven't got a chance to play it yet. but i loved the first two, so i'm sure this will be great too! hope sega brings yakuza 4 over here.

Rogueagent01
 Rogueagent01
(@Rogueagent01)

This game is addictive that is for sure. I'm not that far into it and all I can think about is waking up and playing some more. Yakuza 4 would be welcomed at my house with open arms. The things that many people find quirky are what really make this a great game. I only wish they didn't take anything out of the game, the "cultural differences" saying is BS. Some Americans actually like Mahjong, and the Hostess clubs would have been cool, but if I have too I'll import the game eventually. Please Sega don't remove anything next time.

Last edited by Rogueagent01 on 4/11/2010 4:33:06 PM

Banky A
 Banky A
(@Banky A)

The demo was addictive and sick.

mastiffchild
 mastiffchild
(@mastiffchild)

Comparing it graphically with KZ2 isn't fair for a number of reasons though, is it? Firstly, it's an open world game and not scripted in the same manner or to the same degree as KZ2. Even RDR doesn't come near matching U2/KZ2 and it's budget is a lot bigger AND they already had the engine from GTA4 to use on their SECOND open world game this gen while Yakuza3 was Sega's first on PS3-they had nothing to use from previous games. Secondly, the Yakuza team didn't have the same amounts of time that GG did with KZ2-they released Y2 on PS2 at around the same time the EU was getting PS3s FFS! Take Kenzan! into account and you can see how much less time they had for this game-doesn't seem to have changed for Y4 either which has seemingly taken them very little time to put together too.

I'm not suggesting that the looks couldn't be better or that the age of the game makes up for it but the things I listed surely had some effect on the game not matching the big hitters in the PS3 gfx race, no? Whatever, I think it looks fine for the kind of game, the kind of time allowed for development and the kind of budget they worked under-expecting more is unrealistic, imo, and the up and down quality of them points, to me, to a game without quite the polishing time to make it really glow but as their emphasis is more on exploration, story and brawling with whatever's to hand I doubt the looks were the most important thing to the team.

Anyhoo-I'm a big fan of the series and didn't feel let down by the first one we get to play this generation in any way. Lets hope Sega don't drag their heels over number four and stick Kenzan on the next disc as well-even if it kills them!

Posted : 12/04/2010 12:00 am
Ben Dutka PSXE
 Ben Dutka PSXE
(@Ben Dutka PSXE)

You don't compare the graphics of a game only to the graphics of currently available games in that genre. That's far too narrow. We have to compare a game against all current competition.

Posted : 12/04/2010 12:00 am
Page 2 / 3
Share: