Not Rated
Publisher:
Sega
Developer:
Amusement Vision
Number Of Players:
Genre:
Action

I enjoyed the first two Yakuza titles on the PS2 and I was very much excited to try the first entry on the PlayStation 3. From the start, I knew this was Yakuza : the bad-ass Kazuma Kiryu was the main character, there’s a heavy emphasis on story, there’s no option for English voiceovers (which is just fine by me), and there’s a combination of gut-wrenching brutality combined with Japanese quirkiness. Then you’ve got the semi-open-ended gameplay format that has you running around several large cities, looking about for items, battling street punks, stuffing yourself with the local cuisine, and…well, snapping photographs of bizarre events and situations. It also features some role-playing elements in relation to character advancement, so Yakuza 3 is quite the appealing package. That being said, there are a few issues that may plague the overall experience, and such flaws really get tiresome towards the end of your 20-hour quest.

Not surprisingly, the third title looks a heck of a lot better than the first two ‘cuz this latest effort is on the PS3. Still, it isn’t the prettiest next-gen project you’ll ever see, as there’s a definite lack of sharpness and clarity in the backdrops and the special effects during gameplay don’t exhibit enough “punch,” if you get my meaning. The cut-scenes are pretty solid, though, and character detail can even be impressive when it comes to key members of the plot. And it seems as if there’s more going on in the streets; the PS2 installments usually just boasted a lot of people on foot and plenty of mostly abandoned back alleys. This one features the appropriate amount of traffic on main roads and despite the aforementioned lack of intricate detail; the colorful and vibrant presentation breathes life into those active Japanese streets. The graphics fall a little short by today’s lofty standards; they are indeed a bit uneven and underwhelming. But it’s forgivable.

The sound may be more subjective than with other games, just because of the Japanese voice acting that may or may not resonate with a Western audience, and the distinctly Japanese soundtrack. I have little doubt that the Eastern demographic laps it up and personally, I’m a big fan of the Japanese voices. But I have to admit that the over-emphasis on generic rock music that accompanies my butt-kicking gets repetitive and even annoying; I needed more balance and diversity. However, to help bolster the graphics, the sound allows the environment to really stand out; the calls and cries of the surrounding crowds, the hustle and bustle of a lively city, and the various ambient sounds that differed from area to area helped a great deal. In other words, the sound isn’t amazingly accomplished, but it works. It matches up nicely with the rest of the technical presentation and brings you into the dangerous, exciting world of the yakuza. I just hope Yakuza 4 gets a little more imaginative when it comes to the soundtrack.

When addressing the gameplay, I think it’s important to make one thing very clear: Yakuza 3 focuses on a deep and engaging storyline as most any role-playing game. This means it will take a little while before you dive into the meat of the exploration and combat; you can even view and play crucial scenes from each of the first two Yakuza titles before you get started. This is great for those who never got a chance to play them and it’s important, too, because Yakuza 3 is indeed a true sequel. The cut-scenes are of good length and are quite abundant, and they are also well done in just about every respect. I can only read the English subtitles but it seems like the voice acting is pretty good, and I’ve always liked Kazuma’s deep, commanding baritone. The story is a little convoluted in my eyes – especially if I take the preceding plotlines into account – and some parts are either strange or just plain boring. Even so, the story is a highlight and worthy of your attention.

I won’t give away any major story details, but I’ll just say that Kazuma has tried to remove himself from the potentially deadly career of a yakuza boss, and has retreated to the solitary quietude of a small shoreline village. Believe it or not, the big, tough, seemingly invincible member of the Tojo Clan is running an orphanage. Being an orphan himself, he feels very close to the children who have lost their parents, and it’s obvious that the kids love him to death. It’s surprisingly touching, really. But when the powers that be want the land back, and are perfectly willing to put those kids back out on the mean streets for the sake of the yakuza’s glorified ego, Kazuma isn’t about to stand by and watch. And that’s how he gets dragged back into the dark and gritty underworld. It’s a great way to start the story and really gives you a sense of purpose as you traverse the dangerous streets of various cities. Oh, and the entertainment factor – due to a lot of ass-beating – is sky-high.

Let’s talk about that now. The brawling in Yakuza 3 is straightforward and even a little barebones, but it’s still fun. The square button executes a light attack, the triangle button is your strong attack, circle attempts to grab a foe or pick up an object to use as a weapon, the X button dodges (when holding the R1 button to put yourself in a fighting stance), and the L1 button blocks. Once you get the hang of it – and it won’t take long – you’ll really start relishing the beat-downs you dish out. You will earn experience with every successful tromping and those Exp points can be used to increase your Soul, Technique, and Body. As you can see, this is part of the RPG feel, because you really do have control over how Kazuma advances his abilities and physical attributes. In addition to the random objects around the environment (bicycles, traffic cones, chairs, etc.), there are plenty of weapons to use, ranging from knuckle dusters to swords and clubs.

These weapons will only last a certain amount of time, though, so you might want to save the powerful katanas for tough boss encounters. You will also want to keep some health restoration items (Stamina X, for instance) to keep yourself alive during particularly harrowing situations. Lastly, there’s the HEAT meter, which builds as you beat on opponents; when full, Kazuma glows blue – and eventually, red – and he can then unleash super powerful moves after grabbing an enemy or equipping a weapon. For instance, you can grab an enemy and slam his face into a brick wall, or use a certain weapon in a really nasty manner: smacking a dude in the face with a baseball bat via full-armed swing, tearing out an enemy’s fingernails, and crushing a skull with a big ol’ sledgehammer. It’s all really brutal and very bloody. You can also learn new abilities by snapping photos of certain weird events, like a dude emulating a stripper out in the street (he’s swinging around a lamppost like a nut). Once you get the picture, Kazuma will post up a blog on his phone and gets himself a new, neato move.

These are called “Revelations” and they’re just part of the Japanese quirkiness ingrained in the adventure. You might expect some of it and in some ways, it acts as an interesting complement to the nastiness and hostility that inundates the plot. It may be a little too silly for some members of the Western audience but again, that’s more a matter of personal preference and subjectivity. Therefore, I won’t harp on it. However, it’s the control and combat that must be addressed; there are a few problems that can’t be ignored. I think the controls are just far too loose sometimes, and this tends to become very obvious during difficult encounters with multiple enemies. You can lock on and face an opponent with the R1 button – where you can also dodge – but you will find yourself missing many attacks due to a lack of aiming. I also don’t particularly like the camera. You have control over it, but it’s tough to deal with during battle and sits too close by default, so you’ll often get nailed from an opponent that’s off your screen. It gets super frustrating.

Lastly, there’s this strange lack of weight to Kazuma’s movement. It almost feels as if you’re gliding around the pavement when exploring, and this sort of transfers into the combat, too. It just doesn’t feel like a tight, finely honed mechanic, which brings the entire experience down a few notches. However, you should be able to get past these drawbacks because, as I’ve said, the entertainment factor really is very high. You’ll want to follow the story, the battling, despite being a little too simplistic and repetitive, is almost never boring, and there’s always plenty to do. Exploration is encouraged as you will discover plenty of new and useful items and pieces of equipment, and the incentive to get into fights is obvious (experience, duh). So, Yakuza 3 is definitely worthwhile if you think you’ll enjoy the premise and you’ve always wanted something like a cross between Streets of Rage and an exotic, quirky Grand Theft Auto . The good vastly outweighs the bad, and that’s what’s most important.

Subscribe
Notify of
31 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Victor321
Victor321
14 years ago

Thanks so much for the review Ben, been waiting for one ^.^!

SayWord
SayWord
14 years ago

Nice review Ben! I'm currently 40 hours into the game. Chapter wise I'm in chapter 6, there's so much stuff to do besides the story its amazing. I'm really addicted to yakuza 3:)

LegendaryWolfeh
LegendaryWolfeh
14 years ago

#1 thing i think everyone should remember about this game, it's a year old, yet still gets essentially solid reviews now that it's released overseas =P

Kiryu
Kiryu
14 years ago

8.4? I would've given it a 9.5.
People go play this game and explore the whole game!

SayWord
SayWord
14 years ago

This my first yakuza game, and I love japanese culture. Kind of feel emotionaly attached to the characters. Has a really good story and amazing character development.

Ben Dutka PSXE
Ben Dutka PSXE
14 years ago

Erm…we love fans but a 9.5 would be ignoring all the obvious drawbacks.

But I'm certainly glad you love it. We need more people to love it if we're to get Yakuza 4.

kraygen
kraygen
14 years ago

Hmm I find this a bit odd. I tried this out for a while and while it has a lot of depth and options, I found it to be a lot less fun than just cause 2, but you gave it a 6.9. Guess I'll just have to disagree with you this week. Not that I didn't enjoy what I've played thus far on yakuza, just not as much.

Agree with you almost all the time. I guess it was bound to happen, can't agree all the time.

Detroyer 1250
Detroyer 1250
14 years ago

Solid review Ben. Very interested in the unique combat. Definite pick-up for me.

Kiryu
Kiryu
14 years ago

Better than MGS4!

Ben Dutka PSXE
Ben Dutka PSXE
14 years ago

Ooookay, you can stop now.

shadowpal2
shadowpal2
14 years ago

I NEED THIS GAME!!!

Oxvial
Oxvial
14 years ago

I think people know I'm fan of this series, but I expected 7.5 for psxtreme , glad to see you have taste for this type of niche games Ben.

i really enjoyed this game, the story was surprisingly really interesting and gripping.
i really want to pick it back up and see how it ends once im finished with just cause 2 and splinter cell conviction.

only thing they need to change (besides the graphics which are really dated) is the mission structure and display icons.
the whole game is a baby sit!
go find this, go find that, go find a biscuit for mikos dog, go find it some milk, go find kumi or whatever her name is because she left for the movies looking so upset.
i thought this was yakuza 3 not baby sitters 3!
i thought yakuza was the name for the Japanese mafia, not the name for a babysitting group.

that, and it would not be too bad, the babysitting would be tolerable if you had a marker or something showing you where you need to go.
like as i mentioned above the part where you have to find that girl because she ran off upset to the movies, there is NOTHING! showing you where the movies are.
you just have to wonder around the street and hope you find it, honestly i spent like 30 minutes wondering around walking in circles before i found her.
i dont know about anyone else, but walking around in circles to me is extremely boring and frustrating!
if i wanted to wonder around like a mindless droan and babysit i would go play the sims!

the combat is actually really good, i had so much fun smashing up all the little punks on the street, another thing that bugged me is you walk into that van to buy weapons, see all these really cool swords and such but you cant buy them.
WTF?

Oxvial
Oxvial
14 years ago

The first chapters of Yakuza 3 game its a evolution of Kazuma has a character but… yes I think some people (more likely the new into the series) wouldn't like that part of the game .

I think that's one one of the reasons Yakuza 4 has 4 characters .

but for old fans it was kinda refreshing to see Kazuma in those missions.

Last edited by Oxvial on 4/11/2010 2:35:30 AM

yeah i know its a extension of the story, all they had to do was put a marker on the map showing me where i needed to go and i would of loved this game.
its really annoying and frustrating when great games like this are let down by such stupid lazy things.
like having to read all the text in the game was not bad enough!
normally im not one to complain about that, but jesus christ this game has longer dialogue than MGS4 at times.
reading a discussion between kazuma and diako for example is like reading a freaking harry potter novel!

WolfCrimson
WolfCrimson
14 years ago

Just want to point out one thing: Didn't Yakuza 3, like, was released over a year ago in Japan? So Graphics aren't gonna be that good.

Anyway, I'm glad you reviewed it, Ben. It's an amazing game.

Last edited by WolfCrimson on 4/11/2010 2:49:45 AM

kraygen
kraygen
14 years ago

got that right, but even tho its a year old, graphics are still pretty bad for ps3. Like a good ps2 game.

Doesn't make that big a diff to me, gameplay over graphics any day.

Ben Dutka PSXE
Ben Dutka PSXE
14 years ago

Yes, it's a year old, but even then, I have to compare it to games like Killzone 2, so…

mastiffchild
mastiffchild
14 years ago

Comparing it graphically with KZ2 isn't fair for a number of reasons though, is it? Firstly, it's an open world game and not scripted in the same manner or to the same degree as KZ2. Even RDR doesn't come near matching U2/KZ2 and it's budget is a lot bigger AND they already had the engine from GTA4 to use on their SECOND open world game this gen while Yakuza3 was Sega's first on PS3-they had nothing to use from previous games. Secondly, the Yakuza team didn't have the same amounts of time that GG did with KZ2-they released Y2 on PS2 at around the same time the EU was getting PS3s FFS! Take Kenzan! into account and you can see how much less time they had for this game-doesn't seem to have changed for Y4 either which has seemingly taken them very little time to put together too.

I'm not suggesting that the looks couldn't be better or that the age of the game makes up for it but the things I listed surely had some effect on the game not matching the big hitters in the PS3 gfx race, no? Whatever, I think it looks fine for the kind of game, the kind of time allowed for development and the kind of budget they worked under-expecting more is unrealistic, imo, and the up and down quality of them points, to me, to a game without quite the polishing time to make it really glow but as their emphasis is more on exploration, story and brawling with whatever's to hand I doubt the looks were the most important thing to the team.

Anyhoo-I'm a big fan of the series and didn't feel let down by the first one we get to play this generation in any way. Lets hope Sega don't drag their heels over number four and stick Kenzan on the next disc as well-even if it kills them!

Ben Dutka PSXE
Ben Dutka PSXE
14 years ago

You don't compare the graphics of a game only to the graphics of currently available games in that genre. That's far too narrow. We have to compare a game against all current competition.

piratedrunk
piratedrunk
14 years ago

I was a bit underwhelmed by the demo but it sounds like most of my concerns have been addressed in the review. Looks like whenever I catch up with my backlog I will pick this one up.

Alienange
Alienange
14 years ago

As much as I just LOVE a ton of reading in my games, I think I'll pass on this one.

Rings0fUranus
Rings0fUranus
14 years ago

lol, you sir have a rapist wit! err, rapier…

Ben Dutka PSXE
Ben Dutka PSXE
14 years ago

Where'd you get the idea there's a lot of reading? Subtitles? The cut-scenes aren't THAT long.

Minishmaru
Minishmaru
14 years ago

The graphics might be "dated" but everything else in the game makes up for it. The game has sooo much to do its ridiculous. I can't stop playing the game and I hope hope HOOOOPE that the 4th comes here do to the response your review has gotten from us readers

hadouken
hadouken
14 years ago

Good review. I'm glad somebody is showing this game some love, I'm a little suprised by the 8.4 but in a good way. Yakuza is a the most underrated series out there!

Rings0fUranus
Rings0fUranus
14 years ago

i own this game, but haven't got a chance to play it yet. but i loved the first two, so i'm sure this will be great too! hope sega brings yakuza 4 over here.

Rogueagent01
Rogueagent01
14 years ago

This game is addictive that is for sure. I'm not that far into it and all I can think about is waking up and playing some more. Yakuza 4 would be welcomed at my house with open arms. The things that many people find quirky are what really make this a great game. I only wish they didn't take anything out of the game, the "cultural differences" saying is BS. Some Americans actually like Mahjong, and the Hostess clubs would have been cool, but if I have too I'll import the game eventually. Please Sega don't remove anything next time.

Last edited by Rogueagent01 on 4/11/2010 4:33:06 PM

Banky A
Banky A
14 years ago

The demo was addictive and sick.

coverton341
coverton341
14 years ago

I just picked this game up on Sunday while I was out of town. As soon as I got home I started messing with some music and lost a couple of hours but was determined to get in some Yakuza time so at about 9 I threw it in and all of a sudden it was 12:30. FML I'm tired here at work running on a few hours of sleep but wow Yakuza 3 is awesome.

As a buddy of mine said Kazuma Kiryu is the ambassador of Japan's kick-your-ass-ador.

piratedrunk
piratedrunk
14 years ago

Euro-barge!

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x