Developer:
EA Bright Light
Number Of Players:
1-2
Genre:
Action/Adventure
Release Date:
June 30, 2009

Harry Potter has become a legitimate modern-day phenomenon and J.K. Rowling now has enough money to purchase a small assortment of countries. The latest book and movie, “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,” have performed as expected and raked in more cash, although once again, we’re left with a somewhat lackluster video game effort. It figures that the bespectacled boy-wizard can conquer just about every entertainment venue besides games; perhaps the avid Harry Potter readership just doesn’t enjoy immersing themselves within fantasy worlds and letting their imaginations run wild. …wait. Shouldn’t this be the perfect setting for a video game? Well, yeah, but that doesn’t mean we get a polished production; all it means is that we get another average, flawed, semi-entertaining but largely disappointing effort that loses its luster within the first few hours. Unfortunately, it’s even a step back from Order of the Phoenix , which wasn’t half-bad. Perhaps the biggest problem with Half-Blood Prince is that it just lacks a sense of direction; it’s as if everything you do plays like a side-quest or disconnected task.

The graphics are decent, but they suffer from some clipping during cut-scenes and a general lack of polish. The good news is that none of the drawbacks we found would have a significantly negative impact on the desired audience for this game; we get the feeling that younger fans won’t be noticing the fact that Hermione’s hair keeps disappearing into her shoulder. And if they do notice we figure they won’t care. Furthermore, there’s plenty of surrealistic detail that fits the creative atmosphere, and although we sometimes found the design of the Academy somewhat irritating, the graphical presentation is pleasing albeit unimpressive. Character detail could’ve been a little better but we liked some of the flashier effects that accompanied the more elaborate spells, and for the most part, there’s nothing that detracts from the overall experience. We just get the feeling that if EA had really wanted to, they could’ve made The Half-Blood Prince shine with these uber-powerful consoles at their disposal. Another layer of refinement and an added sense of fluidity would really vault this game into the “solid” and even “accomplished” category.

The sound benefits from great voice acting (not surprising) and a decent soundtrack that will certainly remind you of the movies. These days, one can expect professional voiceover work in games based on films, just because the actors and actresses are often willing to lend their voices to the interactive medium. The sound effects drag this category down a few notches, though, as lackluster audio tends to cover the combat and general movement with a boring blanket of blandness. Flying around in the Quidditch events and dueling is fun, but the balance between music and effects is iffy and we wanted a bit more in-your-face effects when faced with certain harrowing adventures. But much like the graphics, there isn’t anything inherently bad about the sound, and as there is always plenty of dialogue, the game typically puts its best foot forward. However, we get the sneaking suspicion that not enough of the movie’s music is included in this game; the tracks were clear and professionally composed (of course), but they got a tad repetitive. Where’s the rest of the soundtrack?

As we mentioned in the introduction, the biggest issue we have with the game is its perceived lack of direction. This, combined with the odd camera mechanic idea and the clunky control, makes Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince a marginally entertaining yet ultimately unfulfilling experience. It goes without saying that if you’re not familiar with the ongoing Harry Potter storyline up until this point, you’ll be fairly lost as the plot unfolds in this new installment. Just in case, we’ll keep all spoilers out of this review – as we always do – and simply focus on the gameplay and control, which is of the utmost importance, as usual. When you first start, you will zip around on a broomstick and fly through star-shaped checkpoints that grant you additional time, all in an effort to catch that magical item that zips along in front of you. This is something you will do quite often once the game gets rolling; you’ll compete against other teams in the Quidditch events in the arena at the school, and it’s fairly straightforward. The control is a little loose but other than that, it’s not exactly challenging and it won’t take long to master the flying aspect of the gameplay. Then you’ll learn about casting, which relies heavily on analog movements…

For instance, to lift something, you press up on the right analog and then shift it back and forth one time. Once lifted, you can move it about with the left analog stick and even throw it by tapping up on the right analog twice. There are other familiar spells that fans will likely remember from past entries in the franchise, but the primary casting focus settles on the Dueling, where Harry will square off in a one-on-one battle with a foe. It could be a friendly duel with another student (beating increasingly difficult students in the school will yield rewards) or a dangerous fight with an enemy, and this is where the game slips a bit. The camera sits very close to Harry and just to over his right shoulder, so while it’s not first-person, it’s still a zoomed-in third-person style. It would work if the movements weren’t quite so slow, and the dodging left and right (with the L2 and R2 buttons) is slow and cumbersome. You have to cast spells to attack, and while this starts out simply enough, the more intricate attack spells take a little too long to execute, and if there are environmental obstacles, that can pose additional issues. Aiming, due to that camera angle, can also be problematic. It’s a good concept and one this series needed, but it just doesn’t work very well.

The lack of direction we speak of is sort of a good news/bad news situation: on the one hand, everything remains fresh on a fairly consistent basis. While you do participate in the three main aspects of the gameplay over and over (potion making, dueling, and flying around on that broomstick), you rarely do the same thing twice in a row. On the other hand, the story tends to jump around a lot and because the main quest only consists of these separate gameplay segments – with some minor exploration and puzzle-solving worked in – the player tends to lose focus right from the start. It’s almost as if we’re not really following a cohesive story, but seeing snippets of the plot here and there, and participating in gameplay portions that aren’t directly related. You do get a chance to explore the school and find all sorts of secrets, but for the most part, you go from place to place and become involved in the necessary gameplay events that do get a bit tedious after a while. We typically enjoyed the cut-scenes and interacting with other characters, but that’s primarily due to Rowling’s ability to create interesting characters that hold our attention.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince attempts to provide a nicely paced, diverse adventure that would appeal to all fans of the series, but it never really finds its footing and stumbles halfway to the finish line. The controls are slow and clunky, the technicals are passable but never really shine, the story and progression through the game is erratic, and we think the potion making part will prove frustrating for some of the title’s audience. You still have that goodly assortment of great characters and the quality voice acting, the fact that there isn’t anything particularly bad about the production, and a setting and style that is faithful to the books and movies, but it’s not enough. If you are a fan or know of a fan who loves anything related to Harry Potter, we suggest waiting until this one drops in price. It’s just not worth $60 but for the hardcore fan, it’s probably worth a budget purchase. If you can find it half-priced somewhere when the holidays roll around and you’re a Potter nut, it’d be okay for a rainy day.

Subscribe
Notify of
22 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
JMO_INDY
JMO_INDY
14 years ago

I'm sorry, but I didnt even bother reading this article, nothing against you Ben, just… well i think you know why.

King James
King James
14 years ago

That movie was sub-par.

ThePearlJamer
ThePearlJamer
14 years ago

all the movies are sub-par…and by sub-par I mean crap

chucknasty
chucknasty
14 years ago

Harry Potter games are no different than any other movie-based game. They suck. This is why I was wondering why anyone would care if Activision pulled PS3 support as they are responsible for a lot of this crap.

no one would care really.
but i think thats a little harsh of a score, there is alot to do in the game, it goes on forever and good for the trophy whores.
not all movie based games are bad.
all the star wars games were good, the 3rd was fantastic.
xmen origins wolverine was really good, the best part was when gambit impaled wolverine on that massive concrete spear.
man thats gotta hurt.
it just needed more polish, there was more bugs in that game than mercenaries 2.
now thats saying something.

Tim Speed24
Tim Speed24
14 years ago

Thanks for the spoiler warning!

ThePearlJamer
ThePearlJamer
14 years ago

that didn't even happen in Wolverine, he's just trying to ruin it for some people…unless he's talking about the game…in that case I wouldn't know…

Last edited by ThePearlJamer on 7/21/2009 2:16:20 PM

kreate
kreate
14 years ago

this game has 1 glitched trophy which prevents u from getting the shiny platinum =(

Tim Speed24
Tim Speed24
14 years ago

Good Movies.

Bad Games.

Kempy21
Kempy21
14 years ago

you should review Trine it looks really good by I'd like to see a review by someone who isn't as thick as sh*t before i get it.

Last edited by Kempy21 on 7/21/2009 7:22:40 AM

BeezleDrop
BeezleDrop
14 years ago

Pleaase go away Harry Potter. Forever.

JPBooch
JPBooch
14 years ago

And yet another crap game you managed to rate higher than Sacred 2. I can't take any of your reviews seriously anymore.

Ben Dutka PSXE
Ben Dutka PSXE
14 years ago

No one's forcing you to read them. Seems to me you're just annoyed because Sacred 2 scored low…I suggest getting the hell over it.

King James
King James
14 years ago

pwned!

shadowpal2
shadowpal2
14 years ago

As usual for games based off of movies…they're either mediocre of just suck terribly.

As for the movie…I have to say that I was a little disappointing. I was actually pretty hyped up and that this was going to be my SUMMER MOVIE…but no not really. Harry Potter 5 was the best to me, by showing off many characters and having an overall dark sort of theme. The soundtrack was pretty good too. But the 6th one seemed to be more rushed to me. For example in the very last scene (there are no spoilers here) the music was suddenly just cut off by the credits. Couldn't they have at least taken the time to have the music fade out completely and bring in the credits?

I guess not.

There weren't too many characters shown off as well. Just the main 3, Dumbledore, and bits of Luna.

It just didn't feel like a Harry Potter movie since I guess they didn't have too much magic or something. I don't really know. I won't say that I was ripped off and want my money back or anything, but the movie was just ok and not what I expected it to be.

Oh well…

Reccaman18
Reccaman18
14 years ago

My biggest gripe with the game is that its way too short. There was tons more they could have done with it. I finished the game within a few hours. With about 87% trophy completion.

WorldEndsWithMe
WorldEndsWithMe
14 years ago

Noooooo more potter.

kreate
kreate
14 years ago

Im no harry potter fan. but why so negative?
let them make whatever games they want to make and we'll buy/play them as we choose.

nothing wrong with harry potter. the books are great. the movies are good. the games are nice.

*i understand people are not serious so..

Reccaman18
Reccaman18
14 years ago

When I got the game it was only $49.99 instead of the regular price for new games. I guess EA figured that not many people would pay the 60 bucks either.

JMO_INDY
JMO_INDY
14 years ago

but was it even worth the $50?

kreate
kreate
14 years ago

not really but if money isnt a issue.. why not?

thj_1980
thj_1980
14 years ago

don't ever buy this game no harry potter game was godo anyways

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x