Publisher:
Atari
Developer:
Terminal Reality
Number Of Players:
1 (2-4 Co-op)
Genre:
Action

If there's one thing I'm happy about while playing Ghostbusters, it's feeling thankful that the game actually ended up finding a home and being picked up by Atari. Much like Riddick, Brutal Legend, and 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (among others), Ghostbusters was cut by Activision after their merger with Vivendi. Fortunately, every game cut found a new publisher, and one game (Brutal Legend) has garnered so much new-found hype that Activision is now suing to get it back. Ghostbusters found shelter with Atari, and, even though this may not be the most sophisticated or complex game out there, it sure is a ton of fun. As the old adage goes: one man's trash is another man's treasure. Of course, not that I'm saying Ghostbusters was trash or anything, but I'm sure you get the point.

Immediately upon loading up the game's story mode and witnessing the first cut-scene, I immediately notice that this Ghostbusters game is getting it right from the start. And the more I played, the more it became obvious that this may very well be one of the best movie-licensed games, even if the game isn't based on any of the movies, but is technically the third entry into the franchise. 'How so', you ask? Very simple. You see, what makes this game so special is that, just like the movies, it's written by Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis. Rick Moranis, who had a small part in writing, is questionably absent from the game entirely, but it's okay, because Akroyd and Ramis are largely credited as the pivotal forces behind the creation of the Ghostbusters universe, anyways.

It's 1991, two years after the events of Ghostbusters II. Of course, the game takes place in New York City, and you will be equipped with a variety of ghost-fighting weapons and gadgets. You'll have to hunt, eliminate, and even capture the supernatural opponents you come across in the game – and there will be many of them. You'll reunite with familiar faces such as Slimer, Stay Puft, Eleanor Twitty, all the while encountering an assortment of all new enemies that are wrecking havoc on the city.

The story of the game revolves around another supernatural invasion of Manhattan. This time, there are more monsters than before, so the original Ghostbusters gang will need a new recruit – and that'll be you. Armed with their high tech gadgetry, your character will be suited up to help get rid of these creatures once and for all…or for the time being. You're character is also, essentially, the guinea pig, as you'll be the first to utilize the newest ghost trapping technology.

Now, there's no doubt about it, the simplicity of the game definitely makes this one very fun adventure. The game doesn't bombard you with a slew of awkward mechanics and confusing controls, but rather gives you an over-the-shoulder Gears of War/Resident Evil camera, and shows you the abilities that you have with your Proton Pack and gun. You can weaken ghosts further by smashing them right before throwing down a trap and pulling them into it. It's all straightforward stuff, but it feels extremely satisfying to trap a ghost, the struggle comes through the screen quite well. Plus, every gadget you have in the game is upgradeable, so as the ghosts become tougher to deal with, you'll have the resources to strengthen your equipment.

There is an online component that is also quite good, allowing for four player co-op matches, complete with leaderboards, voice chat, and even downloadable content. The co-op isn't related to the story, but are merely side-missions, which is a shame, because it sure would've been nice to take control of the actual gang through the story. Which leads me to some of my disappointments…

Perhaps the game could've used a bit more scale. You have the Ecto-1 and you have Manhattan. An open-world sandbox game would've been nice, and it'd have been wise of Terminal Reality to include side-missions into the story mode. It'd also have been nice to drive from place to place by yourself, or maybe even use the PKE meter to find hidden ghosts scattered in the city. There's just simply a ton you can do with a franchise like this, but ultimately, for the sake of a consistent story and to make this feel more like a movie than anything else, Ghostbusters: The Video Game is quite linear.

The graphics engine here is pretty solid. I particularly like the character models, as they're all pretty much carbon -polygonal- copies of the actual thing, and that certainly helps the immersion factor. You'll often find yourself in very large areas, be it the various parts of the Sedgewick Hotel, the streets of Manhattan, and other really cool environments I won't spoil. Texture detail is nice for the characters and for the indoor stuff, but it varies when you're outdoors. Still, there are no glaring issues, the framerate may stutter here and there, but it's tolerable. Furthermore, you've got a clean picture that is 720p native, but can upscale to 1080p.

Audio is where the game shines. A nice soundtrack plays in the background, but it's the voice acting that I enjoyed. Bill Murray's Dr. Venkman seems to have evolved into a more carefree and perhaps even lazier character, which almost seems natural for the character. All four original Ghostbusters reprise their roles, including Murray, Akroyd, Ramis and Hudson. Moreover, the remaining ensemble from the movies who will lend their voices and likenesses to the game include: Annie Potts, Brian Doyle Murray (Bill Murray's brother), and William Atherton. Rick Moranis declined to come out of retirement to reprise his role, as did Sigourney Weaver. None the less, the game's dialogue still shines with wit and laughs, so the two missing links don't really have much of an affect on the game, at all.

Overall, Ghostbusters is a really solid game that's worth your time. It may be straightforward and linear, but it is still extremely satisfying and a lot of fun – and ultimately, fun is what makes or breaks a game. The story is a bit on the short side, lasting about 6-7 hours, but the multiplayer events are cool and there is downloadable content in the works as we speak. Even Dan Akroyd has gone on record to say that the game is essentially the third movie in the franchise, and seeing as how both him and Ramis wrote this script too, fans of the movies should expect nothing less than solid quality here. Even though this doesn't tie-in to a Ghostbusters movie, this is still the best movie-licensed game I've played in a very, very long time…maybe ever. Publishers and developers, take note.

Subscribe
Notify of
30 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
fundando
fundando
14 years ago

This game is so much fun. I gotta say bustin truly does make me feel good.

Last edited by fundando on 6/25/2009 2:50:04 AM

ArnoldK PSXE
ArnoldK PSXE
14 years ago

Hahaha, nice.

TheHighlander
TheHighlander
14 years ago

Nice review, sounds like a fun game.

I have to say, it's a real gust of fresh air as well, to see someone talking about the Ghostbuster game and not mentioning the supposedly massive gulf in visual quality between the PS3 and 360. Anyway, thanks for not glossing over the graphic issues, but also thanks for not making that the point of the review. It sounds like an enjoyable game. I hope that there is a demo to try…

Qwarktast1c
Qwarktast1c
14 years ago

movie games that are based on older movies tend to be alot better than movie games that come out alongside the film

since the games based on old movies don't have to meet the release date, the devs don't have to worry about throwing together a steaming pile of crap just to hurry things along. devs can take their time and polish it to make it a movie based game that is good.

of course that doesn't mean that the final product will be fantastic, but i think you all know where i am going with this

good review btw arnold. i was planin to play this one anyways, but at least now i know its pretty good

Last edited by Qwarktast1c on 6/25/2009 3:15:52 AM

LimitedVertigo
LimitedVertigo
14 years ago

I wasn't a fan of either Ghostbusters or Ghostbusters2 so I rented the game. After a weekend of playing it I ended up buying it. Its an addictive game and like Highlander said kudos Arnold on not wasting time talking about the issues in terms of graphics. I think the game looks great.

slayerkillemall
slayerkillemall
14 years ago

Arnold,is there a choice to play in first person view?

fatelementality
fatelementality
14 years ago

No there isn't. The game is awesome nevertheless though. It's probably a good idea to start it on easy as much as it pains me to say it. I started on normal and had one hell of a time getting through the first half of the game. Once you get used to everything, it's ok to switch to normal. I'm not even joking here, this is the ONLY game that I wish I would've started on easy.

TEG3SH
TEG3SH
14 years ago

so which one is best the 360 or the ps3???
i'm gonna buy it but i still dunno on which platform

and @ arnold & ben
what was the game u were talking about???
it wasn't unveiled in E3 like u said ben
when will the embargo be lifted????

Qwarktast1c
Qwarktast1c
14 years ago

watch it be kingdom hearts 3

oh how i wish that could be true….

a man can dream…….

Jawknee
Jawknee
14 years ago

The xboxers have been crowing about how once again the 360 version is better but this tome it seems to be true. Terminal Reality said they had to gimp the PS3 version in order for the Xbox version to work. But some how that made the PS3 version worse. I don't know how that works. I guess If xwere you I'd get the Xbox one.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2521-Sioux-Falls-Video-Game-News-Examiner~y2009m6d18-PS3-version-of-Ghostbusters-gimped

Masterofallz
Masterofallz
14 years ago

All we can do now is hope it is a kick-ass game, which I am sure it is.
There are thousands of possibilities and I think Sony is keeping this one top secret for a surprise.

Ahh, I cant wait until later this year!

Last edited by Masterofallz on 6/25/2009 9:19:52 AM

TheHighlander
TheHighlander
14 years ago

@Jawknee

I think that they finally came out and said that the anti-aliasing they used on the PS3 is an inferior method to the one employed on the 360, and that some of the textures were reduced on the PS3. For whatever reason they ran into a memory limitation. I'm quite certain that other Sony devs might contradict that assertion. But it is what it is.

Based on Arnold's review and others I've read, it seems like it doesn't affect the game-play or enjoyment, so you need to be someone who has both consoles and is looking for a reason to choose one over the other to care either way.

Jawknee
Jawknee
14 years ago

Sucks for PS3 owners only. I didn't plan on buying this game either way so I won't be effected. Just sucks to see another PS3 version getting gimped. I thought the days of bad PS3 multiplat games were gone. I think they also said they rendered the game at only 75% of the res on the PS3 that of the 360 one. What confuses me though is they brag about the PS3's superior hardware yet they made the PS3 version worse? That what I don't get.

TheHighlander
TheHighlander
14 years ago

@Jawknee,

But that's the thing, the differences between the two are being overplayed by most. The reality is that in most ways the games look and play identically. Calling it gimped is like saying it's crap and unplayable – it's not. It's just marginally different.

fatelementality
fatelementality
14 years ago

I honestly didn't have one problem out of my PS3 version. It did freeze up for a few seconds in the library and went back to normal. I've beaten the game without any other glitches so I don't know why everyone else is having so much difficulty with tech issues. Just lucky I guess 🙂

Hexen
Hexen
14 years ago

If you have both systems then the 360 version is probably the way to go(can't believe I said that).

TheHighlander
TheHighlander
14 years ago

I can't believe you said it either…LOL! I think that if you have both systems and you're still buying games for both, then what you said is probably true. If you have both systems and are buying more PS3 games than 360, then I'd suggest that the PS3 version is the right version since it's really not a case of the game being markedly inferior.

RustEDalex
RustEDalex
14 years ago

I think the most important thing people want to know is if they have that kick ass ghostbusters theme song in the game

who you gonna call

fatelementality
fatelementality
14 years ago

If you leave the cursor on the game disc at the XMB, you'll get the full song. What do 360 owners get? Oh yeah, SQUAT! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tlpn99
tlpn99
14 years ago

What about it causing mayhem and wrecking peoples PS3's ? I had heard the guy Winston is not in it too he pops up now and again saying stuff like well done etc ? Are any of these true?

Arnold what about not crossing the streams too ? That's one of the most important things in Ghostbusters it gets mentioned in the 1st movie.

Doosharm
Doosharm
14 years ago

I had the game freeze up on my three times in a row on one level. That was a bummer. And Winston isn't the most prominently featured ghostbuster in the game but he's still in it quite a lot. But, if you go back to the movies its the same way.

There are constant warnings not to cross the streams in this game but I never saw any negative reactions if you do. If you overheat the pack however, then you might get a little banged up. But, if you really want to cross the streams there may or may not be an opportunity to do so… Just play the game and find out. It's so worth it.

And yes, the theme song is in the game as well. Luckily its not in it too much. I mean, we all love the song but you really can't have it looping in the background for 6 or 7 hours!

fluffer nutter
fluffer nutter
14 years ago

This game is a lot of fun. I was worried about the graphical difference but now that I have been playing it, I don't see it as bad as others were saying. It isn't a deterent to how fun this game is. The game has been running solid on my system and I did have one freeze-up for two seconds but then it went away. This was in the library.

@tlpn99, don't cross those streams or blast something too close to you or you get knocked down.

Doosharm
Doosharm
14 years ago

Thats the same scene I freezed up on too. Sadly for me it was an entire lockup the first two times and then I made it through, stuttering, the third time.

ctd669
ctd669
14 years ago

This Game ROCKS!!!

fluffer nutter
fluffer nutter
14 years ago

Your avatar rocks. Did you see him on Joe Buck's show on HBO? Classic!

LimitedVertigo
LimitedVertigo
14 years ago

I did, Artie is comic gold. Joe buck is a poser and Artie embarrassed the hell out of him.

King James
King James
14 years ago

The Dallas Gaming Mafia strikes again. I'm definite gonna give this game a try now.

fatelementality
fatelementality
14 years ago

Why didn't they just call this game Ghostbusters 3? It would've been a nice push to finally break the barrier between movies and games.

BeezleDrop
BeezleDrop
14 years ago

Dallas Gaming Mafia? Really? I'm to decide if I will buy this one, my brother praises his PS3 version.

Nerull
Nerull
14 years ago

Nice review. Even though I've barely touched infamous yet I'm too much of a GB fan to not get this ASAP. Sucks big time that the ps3 version is slightly inferior despite the consoles superiority but atleast we get free online, I rarely ever go on but it's always nice to know its there.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x